American Barley, Does It Get To Oz?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim_Levet

Reaction score
I have been reading through some old books & have a few questions regarding U.S grown barley.

Do we have U.S grown barley available in Australia? UK & Europe Yes, so far I can not find any U.S.

If so where is it hiding?

Have any of the more experienced brewers used any U.S grown barley?

Yes I have looked at the usual suspects at the top of the page, but they often fall short of my requirements, though you can not try to stock everything.

regards
James

I don't think you will have much luck finding american malts on the shelves in Australia..

JW and BB malts will go fine in any american ale though

James reading between the lines are you looking for 6 row for a particular reason?

Warren -

I don't think you will have much luck finding american malts on the shelves in Australia..

JW and BB malts will go fine in any american ale though

I do not see why we have to settle for a substitute. There are plenty of UK grown malts & the Weyermann Pilsner & Boh Pils shows that there is a calling for variety. Now as there are plenty of great Oz grown malts it is a bit like taking coal to Newcastle, but I like brewing side-by-side batches to compare different yeast & hops.
I will not hold my breath though.
James

James reading between the lines are you looking for 6 row for a particular reason?

Warren -

Side by side batches of BB vs JW Trad Ale vs US Grown malt. Sames hops & yeasts just the malts are changed to keep it interesting.
James

I do not see why we have to settle for a substitute.
James

The reason you find UK and European malts on the market here is because they stand out from the rest. What I am trying to say is if you are after malt character you would use these malts.

Where as if you are a style where the malt aspect is not so important, most people would just go for standard aussie pale malt. Which would be pretty similar to american pale malt going by the 'main stream' beer styles brewed in the states

Edit: So I guess my point is that there would be no point in transporting it half way around the globe when we have a locally bred substitute

Yep that sounds about right, but then I am on a side-by-side brewing frenzy that is fast growing out of control.

most people

Most people take the easy way out, I am not part of that group ;)
James

Looking for a generic US barley/malt isn't really possible as there are many, many different maltsters scattered across the US and Canada and they all offer a low cost "generic" pale 2 row. The quality of their generic malt can vary a wee bit, depending on the harvest & weather during the last growing season. I haven't noticed flavour differences, but I have noticed kernel size variation and slight efficiency variations.

From a flavour standpoint, the generic pale malt here is generally lighter in colour and flavour than similar European malts.

I think Flying Pig Pale Ale used six row. They had their own supply that might have been imported or locally grown. I could be wrong.

I think that Ross (Craftbrewer.com) was trying to source US malts. Drop him an email and see if this is still on the agenda.

FYI - Bairds (UK), Barret Burston (Aus), Great Western Malting (USA) and Canada Malting Company (Canadia!) are owned by an Aussie private equity firm. The same guys own Austar pay tv and were telling me that they (the employees) get free Austar. I wonder if they also get free malt?!

I think that Ross (Craftbrewer.com) was trying to source US malts. Drop him an email and see if this is still on the agenda.

Is there nothing this man can't do! The brewing world is truely a better place now that Super Ross is here!
Yep I will drop him a line.
Thanks
James

Is there nothing this man can't do! The brewing world is truely a better place now that Super Ross is here!
Yep I will drop him a line.
Thanks
James
Hey Jim, can you please post here with your result so that others don't go running down the same blind alley.

If/when available, Ross can always kick off a thread in the Retail section.

Much respect to you for your experiments/ testing. Looking forward to the results of your query and your side-by-side tests. I suspect you'll find little discernible difference with our Oz standards of JW, BB, and what's that other brand with the free rocks ? :lol:

Cheers
Les

James, it is a little surprising that we haven't seen US malts come onto the scene when you think about it. Especially when you consider that we now have in some cases 3 different types of Marris Otter to choose from. Looks like there may be changes on the horizon though...?

Out of interest, what did you have planned to make with it? I've been thinking of doing a Cali Common recently. It would be kind of cool to make an American ale with genuine ingredients.

I can imagine that the release of Jamil's "Brewing Classic Styles" means that every man and his dog must be asking for Victory malt (and potentially other US speciality malts).

I was going to ignore this, but some of you are starting to take it seriously.

How about we turn over the malt we currently have/ can get hold of to keep supply FRESH, rather than worry about having a plethora of unused stuff sitting around going stale.

Wadey, the spoil sport

FYI - Bairds (UK), Barret Burston (Aus), Great Western Malting (USA) and Canada Malting Company (Canadia!) are owned by an Aussie private equity firm.

Where do you get these nuggets of wisdom Rukh?

I was going to ignore this, but some of you are starting to take it seriously.

How about we turn over the malt we currently have/ can get hold of to keep supply FRESH, rather than worry about having a plethora of unused stuff sitting around going stale.

Wadey, the spoil sport

Good point, and not a spoilsport at all. I believe that Ross may stop stocking Bairds Perle Malt from the UK as it's not turning over fast enough although it's a great malt. However we have seen superior malts such as Golden Promise and Halcyon coming onto the market. If there is only a limited number of malts that can be stocked for freshness reasons then I'd rather the Halcyon etc than some dubious US malt with no real character or brewing advantages.

At the end of this month, or early next Cryer will be bringing in Dingemans Malts from Belgium we should all have access to: -
Belgium Pilsener
Belgium Aromatic
Belgium Biscuit
Belgium Special B

Im already putting together an order for a mixed ton, should make for some happy brewers.
Looking forward to these, but hanged if can find the room for more.
MHB

So, Mark... we will be able to make authentic Belgian beer, but still no American beer?

IMHO, the Aussie malts will give a similar flavour to the US malt, anyway.

Now, Stella clone, anyone? :lol:

Latest posts

Back