American amber ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvos

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Im new to all grain, and I'm looking to make a delicious American amber ale similar to the 4pines version floating around.

Their website is kind enough to give me the grain and hops they use, but I'm not advanced enough yet to turn that into a recipe. I was hoping some of he brilliant minds here would be able to help me out?

The malts listed are:
Ale, Carapils, Crystal, Cara-Munich, Carafa

And the hops are colombus and mosaic.

Ibu 37 and abv 5.1

I would assume the best yeast would be an American ale yeast or a us05?

any help on turning this info into a recipe would be appreciated!

Thanks
Chris

What system/method are you running and what mash efficiency do you generally get?

Won't be able to give you a clone but should be able to get a nice beer.

Running a grainfather and haven't run a beer through it yet so not sure!

Being new to all grain and not having broken in the Grainfather, best advice I could give you is make something simple like an ordinary bitter for your first run, or learn the manual off by heart and do a dummy run with water, no need to complete each cycle have everything written down and follow it verbatim.
As for the yeast depending on your OG you will have to work out your pitch weight, but Safale s05 would be the most common for the style or you could make a yeast starter from one of the liquid yeasts suitable for the style.

Thanks for the advice.

I recon I'm pretty confident with the process on the grainfather, I've watched a heap YouTube videos on the runs, and know the process pretty well. Running through the cleaning cycle gave me a pretty good feel for the machine, so I recon I'm gonna be pretty right with the process.(famous last words?)

Aside from a few more hop additions, what challenges would a more complex recipe have than a simpler one? (I'll just be purchasing the grain bill pre crushed). Or is the problem more along the lines of getting a poorer quality beer in the end as a result of flaws in my process?

I've run quite a few brews with wort kits, and some extract with grain shots etc and they've turned out pretty good with just pitching a packet of dry us05 into the fermenter. Is there any problem with doing this for the AG brew?

Back