American Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris79

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew an American Amber ale next.

I'm looking at using the hops and yeast that I have, they are in the recipe. I've been reading Gordon Strong's Brewing Better Beer. He talks about adding speciality malts from other countries, to add more complexity/interesting flavours. So I was thinking I'd add Belgian biscuit malt, and English caramel malt - either Thomas Fawcett or Simpsons. The Munich malt is their to add to the richness of the malt flavour.

If I can get some feedback on the recipe, and maybe your preference what country or maltster to get the caramel malts from?

Cheers
Chris

View attachment amber ale.pdf

If you are wanting the beer to be in style, I wouldn't add chocolate malt. I feel that along with the biscuit malt it would add too much of a roasty character for an amber.

You are looking for malty sweetness and caramel flavours for it to be in style. Munich will help greatly.

If you don't want to stick to the guidelines, and want to add some more character to the beer, be more restrained with spec malts. Biscuit and chocolate can overpower even with small amounts.

Gladfield have a good range of malts. They have just released a new one called Super Nova. Haven't used it myself yet but will do in the future.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1480459018.461705.jpg

I nearly always add a touch of choc or pale choc in my ambers. I would only use 50-70gm though, you don't really get any manjor roast flavours at those levels and it produces a nice reddish hue.

alrighty, thanks for the feedback so far.

Yes, I do want the beer to be in keeping with it's style guide. I'll wait to I get some more feedback, and then revise - likely to reduce the biscuit and choc malts.

Cheers

I did an amber last year using gladfields malts, I used Aurora for 40%, Red Back at 10% and Shepards Delight at 4% with BB pale making up the balance.

twas delicous.... in fact you've got me thinking about doing it again now!

This balance is my House Ale standard now I have decided. I only concern about the balance and use any ingredients.
Base malts - MO, Weh Pilsner, or local malt Powels.
Specialties - Melanoiden and Carafa special (1034.3) for color and a touch of toast.
You can play with decoction mashing as well it gets great malty flavours.

Hops:
Bittering something neutral like magnum
Flavours and aromas anything goes. I prefer fruity hops. Cascade, Gallaxy.

Yeast favourite if Coopers cultured up from their Pale Ale.
Or US-05 perfectly good or my last was a cocktail of both those.
I want to try a little more funky into Saison Style yeasts too.

I'm not too worried about style guideline restrictions etc. :ph34r:

Chris79 said:
Thanks Dan. Do you use all three of those base malts for your house ale? Sounds good.
Nah, unless I'm low on each I may mix them to make up the bill.
Otherwise its simple like, approximately:
90% Pale Malt,
6.2% Melanoiden
2.2% Carafa III
2.2% Acidulated (for mash pH)
I also like Munick and Crystal malts too. Maybe up to 6% each. Although you can be confident with 20% Munick. Maybe the darker selections too.
I think its just one of those forgiving balances that can work in many variations of ingredients. All your own choices.

Latest posts

Back