American Amber Ale Recipe Thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dionysis

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm putting down an American Amber Ale tonight and as its my first one I was hoping to get some feedback on my planned recipe. I'm aiming for a lighter/mid-strength beer.
1.5 kg LME
.15kg special b
.1kg caramunich III
.4kg Munich LME
.2kg cararye (maybe)
.05kg carafa I or pale choc (not sure which)

Hops will be citra and motueka with possible some galaxy not sure how high to aim to ibu atm. So what ate people's thoughts on the grain bill? Any improvements or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks guys

Hi all,
I'm putting down an American Amber Ale tonight and as its my first one I was hoping to get some feedback on my planned recipe. I'm aiming for a lighter/mid-strength beer.
1.5 kg LME.15kg special b.1kg caramunich III.4kg Munich LME.2kg cararye (maybe).05kg carafa I or pale choc (not sure which)
Hops will be citra and motueka with possible some galaxy not sure how high to aim to ibu atm. So what ate people's thoughts on the grain bill? Any improvements or suggestions would be very appreciated.
Thanks guys

Sounds good, but I would go with more darker crystal grains instead of the pale chocolate or carafa. American Amber Ales aren't supposed to have any roasted character. The hops sound good, but I would bitter with a clean hop like Columbus or Warrior. Use the Citra and Galaxy for your later additions. You want to keep all of the citrusy flavors and aroma. Go for 15, 20, 5, and 0 min additions of a mix between the Citra and Galaxy. IBUs should be around 30-40 for a good American Amber.

Good luck!

Cheers guys,

In light of that I've changed it accordingly

1.5kg LME
.15kg special b
.15kg caramunich III
.4kg Munich LME
.2kg cararye

15g Citra 13.9% @15mins
15g Galaxy 12.5% @15 mins
10g Citra 13.9% @10 mins
10g Galaxy 12.5% @10mins
Total ibu: 40 (LME won't be in boil so based on boil at gravity 1.030)

How's that look now?

So in the end it ended up being

1.5kg LME
.15kg special b
.15kg caramunich III
.5kg Munich LME
.2kg cararye

Citra 13.9%, galaxy 12.5% and motueka 7.9% 10g of each @15 & @10.
So we'll see how it turns out now thanks for the help.

Good stuff mate :) Make sure you report back when you crack one open!

Well I tapped this a couple weeks ago and it is great. Dry hopped at day 4 for 5 days with 5g of each. Beautiful sweet toffee malt coming through backed up with lovely fresh hoppy flavours. Those 3 hops combine very well. It is quite a hoppy amber so if you wanted a more malty one just dial down the hops a bit. But this is a very nice drop as it is.

Latest posts

Back