Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike

Reaction score
Just tried my first glass of my morgans amber ale today...

This would have to be the best brew i have ever made...

I cannot recomend enough.

simple but beaut

Kit + 1.5 kg LME 12g fuggles

aged outside fridge 6 weeks...CC in keg 4 weeks and saving the rest for christmas...I didn't really like the morgans range at first but given time they are fantastic !!

Any one got any other morgan recipes ??

Mike,

I've made a Kilkenny clone with Morgans - came out very nicely too...

1 Can of Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale,
1.5 Kg of DME,
15g Tettnanger teabag,
15g Goldings teabag.
120g Dextrose to bulk prime (if bottling).

(Quick Boil method)
Put DME in 3L of warm water and bring to simmer.
Add Tettnanger and continue to simmer for 10 mins.
Remove from heat and stir in the Goldings.
Chuck the lot into fermenter, add the can of Morgans
top up with water to 22L and stir up well to aerate
the wort. Pitch yeast (either use the kit yeast or get
some sexier english ale yeast from the HBS) when the
wort is under 24C.

Ferments down to about 1010.

This is a very basic kit I made yonks ago - you can do a fair bit to this to improve it even more, such as adding good ale yeast, fresh hops, amber / crystal malt, etc. It's a great beer and had a really hoppy creamy taste that I enjoyed.

Cheers,

TL

Mike,

I use Morgans Amber Ale as a basis for my Killkenny - and their Golden Sazz pilsner - both brews have won awards.

Here are both recipees.
Munich Helles 3rd place with a score of 120

Made in Mar this year. This is one of the best, easiest and cheapest and summer drinking lagers you can make.

Equipment:
Morgans Saaz Golden Pilsner
250 gms of Corn Syrup
1 kg of Dextrose
1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient
Half a handful of Saaz Pellets for Dry Hopping.
Saflager S23 Yeast

Method:
Add all ingredients except for hops into a sterilised fermenter with 3 litres of boiling water.
Stir vigorously adding yeast nutrient then add cold water to 20 litres.
Make a yeast starter with S23 yeast.
After 10 mins, pitch yeast starter into fermenter after checking that yeast is multiplying and OK.
Rack after 12 days dry hop with one table spoon of Saaz pellets heated with just boiled water for a couple of mins prior to pitching into fermenter dont mix/stir in.
Let stand in the fridge for a further 10 days ( as in Lagering) and then bottle.
I bottle with the beer still cold within half an hour after taking the fermenter out of the fridge.
I find this helps greatly to reduce the cloudiness of the finished beer and keeps the frothing down during bottling. Prime as per normal with castor sugar

Note: it takes longer to bottle condition as in to get enough gas into the beer because the beer is cold when bottled.

Ready for drinking by week 3 or4 - better at 2 and excellent balance and flavour at 3 months old.
This Beer has good flavour, a nice tang from the SAAZ hops and is very well rounded. Very good for summer drinking.

KILLKENNY - Irish Ale 3rd place with a score of 109

Equipment:
Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale
250 gms of Corn Syrup
1 kg of Amber Malt
125 gms approximately of Rich Dark Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient
English Kent Goldings Hop Plug/Pellets( 15 gms of compressed hop cones and hop flowers).
Half handful of Cascade Hop Pellets for dry hopping. (Optional can dry Hop with Kent Goldings Hop Pellets - but I find that Cascade gives an excellent Hop aroma and flavour)
Mount Windsor Ale Yeast

Method:

Boil in a large saucepan 6 litres of water with English Kent Goldings Hop Plug, malt, rich brown sugar, and Corn syrup for 20 mins at a rolling boil.
Let stand for a further 10 mins in saucepan.
Add can to sterilised fermenter. Strain contents of saucepan into fermenter.
Stir vigorously adding yeast nutrient then add cold water to 21 litres.
Make a yeast starter with Mount Windsor Ale yeast.
After 10 mins, pitch yeast starter into fermenter after checking that yeast is multiplying and OK.
Rack after 7 days dry hop with half handful of Cascade Hop Pellets heated with just boiled water for a couple of mins prior to pitching into fermenter dont mix/stir in. Let stand in the fridge for a further 10 days (as in Lagering) and then bottle.
I bottle with the beer still cold within half an hour after taking the fermenter out of the fridge. I find this helps greatly to reduce the cloudiness of the finished beer and keeps the frothing down during bottling. Prime as per normal with castor sugar.

Note: it takes longer to bottle condition as in to get enough gas into the beer because the beer is cold when bottled.

Latest posts

Back