Amber Ale Recipe...done Before?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodderz

Reaction score
Gday guys

Well, the time has come to upgrade from the coopers kits and try some full recipes using the raw ingredients. I've bought these ingredients from the very helpful local homebrew shop, and would like an idea on what things to look out for, and whether anyone has done a similar recipe. I apologise if the recipe & method arent written in proper format...dont know how as yet!

Ingredients:

300gm medium crystal
2kg (2 x 1kg tubs) light malt extract
1kg dark malt extract
20gm goldings hops
20gm amarillo hops
1 tablet irish moss
Safale S-04 yeast

First i'm steeping the crystal in a bowl for 30mins, strain and add to boil water.
7Lt water boil for 60mins. Amarillo added at 60min, 10gm goldings and irish moss@ 45min, 1kg malt extract & 10gm goldings at flamout

After cooling adding to wort (21Lt) and adding remaining malt.

Going to buy a secondary fermenter and add to that after bubbling has finished

Is that basically the jist of it or could i fine tune this a tad?

cheers :beer:
Rod

rehydrate your yeast,don't pitch dry.

Double your flame out Goldings to 20 gms.

stir in and dissolve all malt extract b4 cooling.

Ferment @ 18c if poss,don't exceed 20c,and you should have a loverly brew. :D

Thanks mate

So, all 3kg of malt extract could be added to the boil say 5mins before flamout then?

You shouldn't add the extract with the heat on, it risks scorching/caramelising the extract on the bottom of the kettle. Just disolving it in while still hot after flame out is a better idea.

Cam

Torsion said:
You shouldn't add the extract with the heat on, it risks scorching/caramelising the extract on the bottom of the kettle. Just disolving it in while still hot after flame out is a better idea.

Cam
[post="69073"][/post]​

The bittering effect of your hops will be different depending on when you add your extract (early less bitter) - so if you haven't calculated your bitterness, I'd be downloading Beersmith or Promash off the net & running your figures through that first...

...and if you happen to be in the Adelaide Hills in the next week or so you could try our American Amber Ale, Grumpy's 'Triple A'. An all-grain full flavoured ale with 35 IBU's that's moving fast.

Coming on tap soon are the Smoked Porter, Californian Steam Beer and the Drunk Arabs Oktoberfest.

tdh

Just an update guys, the above recipe has gone as plan thus far....my 1st attempt at a partial mash went ok, except for not keeping up with the sparging of the crystal and the grains got stuck to the strainer. I used the brew spoon to push and get the last bit of amber liquid out, only to read later that you should let all the sparge water do that job....lol

It's been fermenting and bubbling away at 16-18C for nearly 5 days, and the other day i purchased another fermenter for secondary. Whats the general rule about when to rack to secondary? Thge local HBS said wait about 2-3 days after airlock has finished bubbling...this sound ok?

cheers

Wait till primary fermentation has finished before racking to secondary. This way you can be sure it is finished.
It just doesn't make sense to me to rack a beer while its still fermenting.

johnno

johnno said:
Wait till primary fermentation has finished before racking to secondary. This way you can be sure it is finished.
It just doesn't make sense to me to rack a beer while its still fermenting.

johnno
[post="70535"][/post]​

Cheers Johnno

Will keep an eye on hydrometer readings before any racking is done

Latest posts

Back