Amber Ale Help Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delboy

Reaction score
i need some advice please
i have just made up a partial using a morgans royal amber and a goliath st pats grain mix.
now i followed the instructions to the tee and boiled gently for 10 mins in 3 ltrs of water. added to fermentor with morgans tin of goo and i only got an sg of 1038 after adding 23 ltrs of water :( which is ok as i dont want this amber to be high in alc%
but as i only got an sg of 1038 will it lack body, taste ect ?
also i think i piched the yeast to hot 26-28 will it be ok :( and if not should i add another ?will this also ipart the taste ?

oh my god i think i knackered this one ???? :(

delboy

delboy said:
i need some advice please
i have just made up a partial using a morgans royal amber and a goliath st pats grain mix.
now i followed the instructions to the tee and boiled gently for 10 mins in 3 ltrs of water. added to fermentor with morgans tin of goo and i only got an sg of 1038 after adding 23 ltrs of water :( which is ok as i dont want this amber to be high in alc%
but as i only got an sg of 1038 will it lack body, taste ect ?
also i think i piched the yeast to hot 26-28 will it be ok :( and if not should i add another ?will this also ipart the taste ?

oh my god i think i knackered this one ???? :(

delboy
[post="90164"][/post]​
Delboy, 1038 will be fine, I make many beers with this starting gravity - May however, just be a badly mixed batch & you got a low reading?
26 - 28 is fine for pitching yeast - just get it down a bit lower for the ferment if you can. High temps will give you fruity esters, which certainly won't upset an amber style too much...

cheers Ross

thnks ross
you have put my mind at ease hear.have never done and amber this low before and the last one i did as a banana bread beer was sitting at 1048 must have got an iffy mix but thats ok i was looking at a lower alc beer this time also it tasted very malty in the past i have had it tasting bananery . of course banana bread beer .

also ross i got and email from my friend at charles wells they go through 40 tonnes of ripe bananas when building there ale
they boil out the sugar and banana flavours so they infuse the wort with the banana taste it is actually and infusions technique. abit like a partial we do .
so next batch i make for witer i am going to add 23 bananas to a prtial boil in the last five minutes to infuse the flavours and sugars and then let sit for 30 minuts or so to cool and infuse more then add this to a tin of amber goo .
i will let you know more as i get it.

now the method used is a what he called ( parboil and infusion ) give a high concentrate of banana at primary which is tamed during primary ferment and balanced when hopped oh yes (ekg)are the hops .

PS i havent forgotten the info you wanted .
I just have to please SWMBO more at the mo LoL :lol:

thanks for your help
delboy

ok it is sealed well no leeks (fermenter)

wort was airated well (before piching yeast )

yeast was started from a starter and seemed a bit slow but it smelt good and tasted fine .

its been five hours and not bubbling very hard temp is now down to 22-24 and will drop a bit more to around 20 .so should i leave it and see what happens buy morning ?
also there is alot of sediment on the bottom should i give it another stir ?

if it dont start should i pitch in a muntons gold dry ale yeast i have in the fridge
will it stuff the brew and make it taste like that horrid home brew flavours from when i can remember my dads try out from the 70's??? :huh:

yuk

delboy

delboy said:
ok it is sealed well no leeks (fermenter)

wort was airated well (before piching yeast )

yeast was started from a starter and seemed a bit slow but it smelt good and tasted fine .

its been five hours and not bubbling very hard temp is now down to 22-24 and will drop a bit more to around 20 .so should i leave it and see what happens buy morning ?
also there is alot of sediment on the bottom should i give it another stir ?

if it dont start should i pitch in a muntons gold dry ale yeast i have in the fridge
will it stuff the brew and make it taste like that horrid home brew flavours from when i can remember my dads try out from the 70's??? :huh:

yuk

delboy

[post="90227"][/post]​

Delboy - chill out mate - it'll be fine - just leave it alone. Messing around with it, is far more likely to introduce something you don't want to the brew...

cheers Ross

ok ross i'm chillin :ph34r:

the first partial i,ve really done on my own and in the hotter weather and i amreading so much bad stuff about the hot weather in the forums its making me jumpy .

i was only ever a winter brewer and this is my first time so i like to be gentle (first time with a combination of a partial brew and warmer weather that is)

you could say i am a virgin to summer brewin :blink: and what makes i worse is the fact that this is my first time proper partial i,ve do on my own .
I guess i am over reacting as i want every thing to be spot on !!
this is related in proportion to what i have been reading and learning off this site .
but hey we will do all right .

thanks ross you sure are a beer god ;)

well
paniced for nothing woke up this morning and shes away smells good through the airlock

thanks all delboy :D

this thread can be closed now if one of the mods want to do it

Back