Amazing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A3k

Reaction score
Hey guys,
probably not news worth mentioning, but i've just come home drunk and felt like telling someone.

i made a 2L starter of Wyeast 2000 a week or two ago, put it in the fridge to decant, and was about to make the 2nd 2L starter to get up to size. i brewed the lager starter in the mid to high 20s which i was worried about.

Anyway, i decanted the beer off the starter (which i put some hops in for antibacterial purposes) inot a litre stein. I was drinking it, thinking it'd be shite due to the high fermentation temp. But somehow it actually tasted really good...

Who would've thought that i could accidently make a nice beer from some hot brewed lager.

another explanaition is that the alcohol in my system could be screwing with my perception.

one thing for sure is that my starter wasn't infected.

In my experience, some lager yeasts ferment out ok at ale temperatures although probably not as 'clean' as at low temps. I use S-189 as my 'default' lager yeast - I've got one on the go right now at 15 and after a week I'll up it to 20 for a few days and I have total confidence in it. Before I knew any better I used W - 34/70 and S-23 at ale temps and they turned out ok. I think with the lagers it's more a case of lagering cold for a few weeks at the end of the process to get them as clean as possible. I seem to recall someone in the industry saying that CUB lager yeast strain gets started at 11 degrees but is allowed to 'drift' up to ale temps over a few days.

I regularly have a glass out of primary or secondary, but out of the starter :blink: Now that's what I call pissed :party: :lol:

Latest posts

Back