Amarillo.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleman

Reaction score
I must confess my sins. But gratefully so. :p

I bottled a kit beer three days ago........as a partial brewer, its a backward step for me. But one that is needed to get some brews down. Time is my enemy at the moment.

Anyway, back to my point. I bottled a Coopers Lager, with a Brew Enhancer #2. Loaded it with hops !!

I boiled the Enhancer for 30 minutes with an addition of Simcoe at the start of the boil. Then at 15, 10, 5 and flame out....additions of fresh Amarillo were added. ( Yeast was US Saf 56 )

Just chilled one down after three days in the bottle. Bloody delicious !!

Obviously very green. But lovely Passionfruit, Grapefruit flavours. Not fruity as in Banana esters.....but zingy !!! and fresh. Lovely colour, and clarity. In hindsight i would have bulk primed with honey, and cc'd....maybe to make a drop that could challenge you AG guys. :p

When this one carbs up, its going to be the cracker of kit beers. I can see it !! Watching the One Day Cricket, with an Amarillo Coopers Lager Zinga !! :party: :super:

I'm just wondering where i should have posted this one.

It isnt the point of the kit beer, but the hops. Maybe it should go in the K&K section.

I'll let the Mod Squad sort that one out. Lol.

Sounds like a good beer, nothing wrong with doing kit beers. I still do some here and there now i do ag if i need to catch up.

I've never used amarillo, but have got a 90gm pack in the freezer waiting to be used :) and i also want to start doing more honey beers i need to use up the 4kg i have here!

I boiled the Enhancer for 30 minutes with an addition of Simcoe at the start of the boil.

I have just recently started to use the Simcoe hop. What is you opinion of it? I normally do a kits n bits pale ale but in my last one I through in 25gms of simcoe for the last two minutes of the boil. The beer turned out to taste like an American cream that I had done in the past. A little bit of a crisp citrus/apple taste on the tongue. Not to over bearing, but some of my friends drink that VB stuff and mine did not appeal to them.

I have just recently started to use the Simcoe hop. What is you opinion of it? I normally do a kits n bits pale ale but in my last one I through in 25gms of simcoe for the last two minutes of the boil. The beer turned out to taste like an American cream that I had done in the past. A little bit of a crisp citrus/apple taste on the tongue. Not to over bearing, but some of my friends drink that VB stuff and mine did not appeal to them.

I like the simcoe BYB. Ive bittered a couple of partial mash beers with it, and it has just the right flavour as well. Although in the above beer i mention, the amarillo would have masked any flavour of the simcoe. I used it plainly for a bit of bitterness.

I made an amarillo honey blonde a while ago... the hops go very well with honey

I have a 11litre braggot maturing at the moment, still is very sour :( but it's still young, 29th-nov brewed - and racked a couple of times now.
I would have to buy another glass fermenter i think to do more, so i might use up the honey in beers in the mean time :)

Back