Amarillo Shortage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsouth82

Reaction score
My LHBS just posted on facebook that he can't get any more Amarillo hops till December. He has limited supply left and its first in best dressed.
Any one else heard this?

Craftbrewer have this season's Amarillo.

Certain American hop retailers are creating an artificial demand (for year old stock) by doing occasional limited releases.

By the time I pay for USPS postage I save $3 on a pound ... and it's last year's. Fail.

BTW - google any USA homebrew store and check out if they have Amarillo. Yes - they are all selling it.

Australians are being told bullshit and are sucking it up. They're all selling Citra too.

Nick JD said:
BTW - google any USA homebrew store and check out if they have Amarillo. Yes - they are all selling it.

Australians are being told bullshit and are sucking it up. They're all selling Citra too.

Yakima Valley have NO Amarillo/Citra - (OK Yes they have flowers but cannot ship international)

so not ANY US Homebrew store is stocking..

It's my understanding these crops were in excess of 40% down on other years, who suffers for this? The Major breweries with contracted tonnages? I dont think so... Shit flows downhill and when they have a bad year, we (especially here in Australia) DO get a limited release. If you think that stocks will see the year out I think you are very much mistaken...

Yob said:
Yakima Valley have NO Amarillo/Citra - (OK Yes they have flowers but cannot ship international)

so not ANY US Homebrew store is stocking..

It's my understanding these crops were in excess of 40% down on other years, who suffers for this? The Major breweries with contracted tonnages? I dont think so... Shit flows downhill and when they have a bad year, we (especially here in Australia) DO get a limited release. If you think that stocks will see the year out I think you are very much mistaken...
Harvest is in August.

Bob's homebrew in Seattle, WA have Amarillo. Fermetables in Little Rock, Arkansas has Amarillo. Want me to google a shop in say, Lousianna, or Rhode Island?

Sure do..

once again you miss the point, doesnt matter when the harvest is, it matters when and how much is shipped...

look, I dont give a toss, your love of any supplier pretty much anywhere is beyond question... dont actually know what I hope to achieve here... perhaps I just need another bruise on my forhead and another dent in the wall ;)

whatev floats ya boat man.

outie

farmhouse brewing has limited supply's
Wholesale Hops have none listed
Niko Brew have some old stock in 1 lb lots
you can always sub the hop with another similar hop.

I just left grain and grape and I bought a couple packs of Amarillo.

Learn to live without it, really life goes on just the same. Please don't tell me you can't brew a beer without Amarillo. Or Citra or anything else, there's a whole world of hops out there.

Home brewers don't need any hard to get hops (expensive), we'll just brew with something else.

batz

Yeah, you should have thought of this two years ago mate.
If you wanted to brew now with citra and amarillo, you should have contracted it.

I feel sorry for any smaller commrecials who didn't contract, but really they should have learned their lessons in the last 5 years.

I can still buy Amarillo. And Citra.

My freezer has all I need until August when they harvest the next crop.

What shortage? There's even a guy on this site selling 2011 Amarillo. Clearly there wasn't a shortage last year either, or he'd have sold that stuff.

Next you're going to tell me there's an oil shortage. And that's why petrol is expensive.

Less than local demand.

Define local.

Core brewing, link at top of page have Amarillo.
Got some late last year, don't know the year but looked, felt and smelt fresh as.
Have used them in a Smurto's GA, smelling and tasting great pre bottling..

Gryphon Brewing said:
Define shortage ?
Nev
demand exceeds supply... or, demand WILL exceed supply (for a projected/expected shortage).

And whilst many retailers and wholesalers do have stock, of varying vintages, there are many, BIG, hop sellers who are completely out... not milking sales for maximum profit... out of stock.

Back