Amarillo - new season coming.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yum beer

Not in the house, you've got a shed..
Reaction score
Just received an e-mail from Hops Direct in the good 'ol US of A, new season crops are all picked and Amarillo pellets will be released 1st November.
The wait is almost over.
Apparently the growing season wasn't the best, a bit dry and hotter than normal but they are happy with the crop.

So have they actually grown a worthwhile amount this year to meet demand? Or is it still "exclusive"?

no mention of quantities but it is restricted to 'one pound' per order.

It'll never be what we want it to be until they allow more growers to get it in, that said, my understanding is that it's been a 'better year' than the last few and we should see an increased supply here.

Time will tell if that translates into a cheaper supply.

Keep us posted Yob, not buying from the States, got enough in the freezer already.
This may need to be my Yob cherry plucker...

Word is that Budweiser have bought out the contract on most, if not all, Amarillo Hops. Craft Brewers in the States are either going to stockpile, or move away from Amarillo as a result. Not good news for Homebrewers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

esssee said:
Word is that Budweiser have bought out the contract on most, if not all, Amarillo Hops. Craft Brewers in the States are either going to stockpile, or move away from Amarillo as a result. Not good news for Homebrewers.

Source? There were unconfirmed rumours of this, sad if true, but I guess just means Citra/Simcoe/Eldorado/Galaxy/Nelson Sauvin/Mosaics and all those other newish varieties will get used more.

esssee said:

These rumors have been floating around since early this year
no confirmed sources have been found as of yet

Don't let the "lack" of Amarillo get in the road of good brewing!

I did a DSGA with Amarillo and it was nice but I can't see what all the fuss is about. My next round of DSGA I am going to up the Amarillo to get more of the taste just in case I am somehow missing the mind-bending wallet-emptying qualities of Amarillo. :D

angus_grant said:
Don't let the "lack" of Amarillo get in the road of good brewing!

I did a DSGA with Amarillo and it was nice but I can't see what all the fuss is about. My next round of DSGA I am going to up the Amarillo to get more of the taste just in case I am somehow missing the mind-bending wallet-emptying qualities of Amarillo. :D
Im the same don't see what all the fuss is about. I must be doing something wrong or it doesnt appeal to me the same as other people. Or im expecting great things and am dissapointed because of high expectations.

Same here, it's nice but really don't see what the fuss is all about.

Maybe a simple case of lack of supply causing demand.

meh! Never been one to buy into buying something just because it is exclusive (and thus expensive)

Let's face it, it must not be in that short of supply as we keep getting these 'special release' of the hidden stash. If it was actually in short supply for years running don't you think the grower would plant loads more of it to sell more? They are just pulling this BS to jack up the price.

I agree, is Amarillo actually that hard to find? Maybe from the most popular sources, but look around, some of the not so obvious places still seem to have stock. I just bought a 500gm bag (although it came as 2 x 250gm bags) a few weeks back from one such place. Might cost a few bucks more, but if you're that into it then you probably won't care.

DJR said:
Source? There were unconfirmed rumours of this, sad if true, but I guess just means Citra/Simcoe/Eldorado/Galaxy/Nelson Sauvin/Mosaics and all those other newish varieties will get used more.
And they quickly seem to be becoming the new amarillo (re: limited supply) hops..

Word is that its Cascade that has been heavily purchased,

Centennial and Amarillo will also be.... tight..

what's amazing me.. now americian LHBS are selling 2012 Amarillo at a reduced price..and weren't we told the same story as last year,there will be a shortage..i have gone away from amarillo and using other fruity type hops...

Back