Amarillo Hop Help Thx.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scomet

Reaction score
My last brew was an Australian Street Lager (Bia Hoi) to which I added Amarillo 30g at 60m 30@20 and 30@5, no chill, the Amarillo did have a high AA; the ‘beer’ turned out great but the taste from the hops was like drinking lemons! It settled down a bit and was great with chillies…

Could some one please give me a +/- hopping schedule for a light (faux) lager for Amarillo Thx, and other ideas appreciated.

ps the main reason for the brew was to experiment with processing the rice prior to mashing, will post results of that later, Cheers Guys.

If you want Street lager then Amarillo is not the right hop, bia hoi is Vietnamese, very light beer < 3% alc with very little hop flavor, 90g of Amarillo not going to give you that.

You probably need to rethink your hops, try something milder maybe hallertau

Thx Leyther I get what your saying, hallertau would be nice, Bia Hoi to me is a rice beer for layering lots of different flavours its good with POR and Nelson + a summer beer with my own hops : I dont know how to use Amarillo thats for sure.....

Unless your dry hopping amarillo imo your wasting it. Thats the style it lends itself to.

For a street beer or something easy drinking you are far better with a ‘less is more’ approach with hops IMHO. 20g @ 60 min and 20g in the cube will probably give you about 25IBU which should be enough for the style you are after.
Remember, when doing a no chill, the times for hop additions are 20 mins off. This means 20g in the cube = 20g@20 mins.

Latest posts

Back