Am I going to die?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
Apparently it's used in very small amounts in the USA in pretzels.
Well...that is going to conflict with a previous post then.

If you suffer from mouth ulcers, go for it. My hands are frequently covered in cuts and sodium perc does an awesome job at cleaning them up. I'm not advocating you swallow though, just gargle and spit.

Taste test after 3weeks..

Anything off, I'd throw it....

You cannot die from any home brew that is drinkable. I have tested this theory many times. In fact you cannot die from drinking beer ( serious research has gone into this, just ask my liver.)

Define drinkable ha ha. Well it's going to go into a keg because that is as good a place as I can think of. I've got a Hefeweizen and IPA in kegs so if it's no good it's no big deal. A few lessons learnt tho.

i wonder how much sodium perc would oxidise the beer? My understanding is that percarbonate has a fair bit of oxygen it it, which would then bubble all through the beer. 1 tbsp might be 15g (just using round numbers) which is a few grams (4-5g) of oxygen. it might have bugger-all effect but that's another on top of the many reasons above not to drink it.

i'm tempted to start a thread about pre-pitch oxygenation with sodium perc though...

.. (not)

Adr_0 said:
i wonder how much sodium perc would oxidise the beer? My understanding is that percarbonate has a fair bit of oxygen it it, which would then bubble all through the beer. 1 tbsp might be 15g (just using round numbers) which is a few grams (4-5g) of oxygen. it might have bugger-all effect but that's another on top of the many reasons above not to drink it.

i'm tempted to start a thread about pre-pitch oxygenation with sodium perc though...

.. (not)
When I was testing my pump and hop rocket setup I ran some PBW through some old hops. They turned purple through oxidation. I would have thought if the PBW had been sitting for a while, maybe the oxygen might have burnt off?

In the OPS beers I suspect it might be hard to determine if the shit taste is oxygen or soapy based...

Back