Am I doing this right

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevle

Reaction score
hi
just made my first brew,
2 "Extra Juicey" 2.4l
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon yeast..sn9
stopped fermenting after 10 days (airlock)
racked into new demijohn for 3 days then bottled into 500ml bottles with 3/4 teaspoon of caster sugar
just opened one to test.. very clear, no fizz
Is there enough sugar in the bottles? Enough yeast?
I have already started a new brew( with an extra 1/4 cup sugar and with a total 1/2 teaspoon yeast) , am i doing this right?
I think so but need a there there and a pat on the head telling me its all OK , i will make 2 or 3 batches (ie months) before i know if i'm wasting my time or not, please reassure me. Thanks

I know its only been in the bottles about 10 days but i thought that there would be some carbonation apparent.

I would have thought you would have some carbonation after 10 days.

What sort of capper did you use to seal them? Do your bottle caps have the plastic seals on the top? With my first brew I used some old craft bottle tops my girlfriend bought for making jewelry. There were no seals on them, and therefore no fizz.

I used new caps and capper, seem to be well sealed. Is 3/4 teaspoon of sugar per 500 mil bottle enough?

Buy carb drops. Easier faster a more 'measured' amount. With a 500ml bottle you could go two carb drops. Would have good fizz or one if you only want a small amount of fizz.

I would think that two carb drops in a 500ml bottle would come out like coke in carbonation. Depends what you are after, there are priming calculators out there that would help you based on how many volumes of Co2 you want.

With cider I go one drop in a 740ml bottle, comes out like champagne.

simchop84 said:
Buy carb drops. Easier faster a more 'measured' amount. With a 500ml bottle you could go two carb drops. Would have good fizz or one if you only want a small amount of fizz.
2 per 500 mL?

Wow.

You don't like good fizz, manticle?

Plus it raises the alc content!

manticle said:
2 per 500 mL?

Wow.
Yeah, I wouldn't be going with 2 drops in a 500 mL bottle. When I used drops I sometimes used 2 per 640 mL bottle and they were "highly carbonated". Later I did the science and maths of it and 2 drops was giving me ~3.2 vols depending on how warm I let the beer get before bottling. Nice for a wheat beer, not so good for most other things.

I'd especially not be advising someone who has not used a hydrometer to measure whether a cider is finished (and ciders finish 1000 or lower) to be bottling and priming at such a ridiculous rate.

manticle said:
I'd especially not be advising someone who has not used a hydrometer to measure whether a cider is finished (and ciders finish 1000 or lower) to be bottling and priming at such a ridiculous rate.
Unless you were hosting a back yard car race. Might come In handy on the podium.

5g/Ltr is generally considered the priming level needed for a joe average beer

manticle said:
Had ciders finish a lot higher than that.

Back