Am I Burning Out My Stir Plate?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabre4

Reaction score
I made a stir plate a while back. Seems to work pretty well, i get a good stiring motion with a nice dimple on top. My problem is that after running for a few hours I can smell the motor, smells like it might be burning out or somthing.

I want to fix it, but I'm not sure if I should replace the fan, or the power adaptor. The fan is probably too small (65 x 65mm). The adaptor is 1.25A, which is probably too much! I'm not too savy with electrical mumbo jumbo, any advice would be muchly appreciated.

Anyone know the best configuration in terms of fan type/power and power adaptor?

the adapter is fine, just get a better fan. 1.25A is how much it is rated to deliver not how much it will deliver if that makes sense. Its the volts that drive the fan, what voltage adapter do you have. There is a big thread somewhere in this forum called tightarse stirplate (or similar) with a simple controller circuit 2 capacitors,a couple of resistors and a lm317 voltage regulator. Mine has been going solid for 1.5 years.

Grab yourself an 80mm case fan, you should be able to pick one up for under $10

the adapter is fine, just get a better fan. 1.25A is how much it is rated to deliver not how much it will deliver if that makes sense. Its the volts that drive the fan, what voltage adapter do you have. There is a big thread somewhere in this forum called tightarse stirplate (or similar) with a simple controller circuit 2 capacitors,a couple of resistors and a lm317 voltage regulator. Mine has been going solid for 1.5 years.

Grab yourself an 80mm case fan, you should be able to pick one up for under $10

It's a 12V adaptor. If the adaptor is fine, I'll look into a better fan.

Back