Aluminium Vs Ss Stockpots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaypes

It is, a nice!
Reaction score
Apart from price and preference is there any reason why Aluminium cannot/should not be used for BIAB?

Wanting to venture into BIAB without having to part with megabucks for the pot

Any other suggestions welcome

I just went through this when looking to get a bigger pot, ended up getting an aluminium one. Main downside is you cant use caustic cleaners on it, so can be a bit harder to clean, and doesnt look as schmick. Upside is they are meant to transfer heat better, and are easier to drill if you are installing a tap.

Basically decide what size pot you need, what your budget is, get SS if you can, otherwise ally is fine.

You'll find loads of discussion on this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww....stainless+steel

For what it's worth, I use a 3V system with an SS kettle and an aluminium HLT. I have used the HLT as a kettle and would do so again. Considering buying another 2 alu pots for a mash tun (currently use an esky) and a kettle mainly due to them being lightweight.

I would happily consider either SS or aluminium for a kettle or a biab tun/kettle as long as they were well made - there are some shit examples of both out there.

In short - thick aluminium is fine unless you think it gives you alzheimer's or whooping cough or chilbains or something. Either choice - make sure you get a quality made product.

Manticle, what do you use to clean them?

I use Pink Stain Remover for cleaning and diluted Phosphoric Acid for sanitizer - I am sure this would corrode the Al

Manticle, what do you use to clean them?

I use Pink Stain Remover for cleaning and diluted Phosphoric Acid for sanitizer - I am sure this would corrode the Al
Why do you need to sanitise the kettle?

Good point, I usually sanitize everything between brews

^This..(bradsbrew)

My single vessel recirculating biab rig is 100% aluminium (apart from the SS bolts acting as legs for the mash basket).

Never sanitise it. Just give it a really good clean out with hot water initially, then with warm water, i get the chux cloth onto it and get all the caked on stuff out of the pot, off the element etc...

Then another couple of HOT rinses after that, then dry it off. No problems.

You might not be able to use "caustic" on aluminium - but i only know of a handful of homebrewers who use caustic anyway - you can certainly use the much more common Alkaline cleaners though

Unscented Nappisan style powder
Percarbonate ("pure" nappisan stuff)
PBW

All work fine (in increasing order of effectiveness on that list) and dont damage an Aluminium kettle at all - and are what most homebrewers that I know of use to clean their gear, regardless of what its made from.

Just give it a really good clean out with hot water initially, then with warm water, i get the chux cloth onto it and get all the caked on stuff out of the pot

Then another couple of HOT rinses after that, then dry it off. No problems.

My pot is SS and I just wash it like I would any other pot used for cooking, as above pretty much...although I've only used it once up to this point. ;)

I might be wrong here, but santising it would seem to be a waste of time IMO because your boiling in it.

I occasionally spray my kettle with starsan usually just before use. Takes about 8 seconds which I can accomodate. I sanitise my clean cube and hose before running off into them as well. Cleanliness is obviously the most important thing but a quick spray hurts no-one.

Hot sodium percarb to clean either if needed (it's rare the HLT needs it).

I occasionally spray my kettle with starsan usually just before use. Takes about 8 seconds which I can accomodate. I sanitise my clean cube and hose before running off into them as well. Cleanliness is obviously the most important thing but a quick spray hurts no-one.

Hot sodium percarb to clean either if needed (it's rare the HLT needs it).

Im sure I read somewhere that starsan isn't good for SS. It was on the internet so it must be true. :lol:

Starsan is acidic. It can corrode some metals, especially softer metals (although it can also help remove corrosion). However used properly you shouldn't notice any issues. Clean up straight away, starsan just before use. Wort and beer are also acidic (beer more so than wort).

Back