Aluminium pots.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fongas brew

Reaction score
How many people use aluminium pots for there brews. HLT MT or boil kettles. They are a lot cheaper than stainless and I won’t one 150 lts. Thoughts please.

Have been using aluminum brew pot for 5 years. Cheaper, lighter, and if you're direct firing spreads heat more evenly. If you're using an electric element inside, it'll lose heat more quickly.

I'm wary of cooking/brewing anything in aluminium because of the leeching

Just a quick Google will give you some basic information regarding this which is mainly for highly acid contents but I can provide scholarly articles if you want further evidence. Maybe I'm paranoid but I prefrr stainless where I can as it is far stronger. Personal preference here

Been using an alumimium pot for my kettle for the last 11 years.
My insanity has only increased a little in that time.
No, but seriously, there's nothing wrong with aluminium, it's an excellent heat conductor, and it's somewhat cheaper than the equivalent size SS.
And if you want to drill a hole for your tap etc etc, it's much easier than in SS.

I used aluminium pots for a few years, not cleaning off the build up of a skin is the trick to using them.
I didn't like to mention that since using the aluminium pots if I stand to close to a microwave I piss myself and forget who I am.:)
Seriously there is nothing wrong with aluminium pots and pans, the aluminium in deodorants is a different story

The effects of leeching from aluminium pans has been shown by many studies now to be of no concern, hardly worth thinking about.

Still, I'd go all stainless if possible as I can use my tough cleaners on them.

I see no issue with them for HLT especially. Just don't use acid cleaners/sanitisers on them as they might degrade and worry about something else :)

I'm wrong and happy to admit that. It's only of concern in non anodised aluminium which isn't used in cookware

Latest posts

Back