• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aluminium Pots - Brand New

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
As there has been alot of discussion on the chat about aluminium pots - i have secured a great price for us cheap home brewers... :lol:

I can get 60ltr 4mm thick aluminium pots for 85.00 ea.

Here is a link...

http://www.roband.com.au/robinox/stock/alu.../alumstock.html

Pic is included...

specs are:
Diameter 444mm
Height 404mm
Riveted handles with recessed lids.

Great for kettles, etc....

PM me if you are interested and i will place an order.

WSP20pic_04.jpg

Ok

Cant get the pic to work...

will try again...

WSP20pic_02.jpg

Wouldnt stainless be better? I've heard some bad things about aluminium causing neurological disorders and stuff when used in cooking boiling etc.

I lose enough brain to beer every year, i dont need to add to that :D

Prime

Dont let Chiller hear you say that.

SS upto 90 ltrs is around 239.00 - big jump from safe aluminium...
i think that is why people "find SS Kegs"

:ph34r:

Looks like we have Kenny's Barossa HB mail order service here :p :p

pr1me said:
I lose enough brain to beer every year, i dont need to add to that :D
"My brain hurts"

sorry, wrong thread???

or is it just aluminium poisoning?

and how much are the 50L pots?

There's one sold Kenny

Those pots are ideal Wee Stu

As a kettle or HLT

or

For cooking "Naked Gas Turkeys"

Thats if you can catch one!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Cheers

You guys are unreal.....

Try to help fellow home brewers out....

And all you get is ridiculed..... :D

There was a recent discussion on the craftbrewer digest about SS v Aluminium pots - one thing that Aluminium apparently has over SS is better distribution of heat - ie, kegs (allegedly) have hot spots whereas aluminium pots don't.

Not an authority - I readily stand to be corrected, but that was the impression I got from that thread on oz.crafbrewer.org

Mind you, it ain't gonna make me throw away my keg!

TL

I have found a place that can get me a 60 litre aluminium pot here for $99 including tax (am waiting for the callback).
While the general consensus is that the are safe to use as a kettle I was wondering what the view is on how long they will last. Will they last as long as a SS kettle. I am really trying to keep cost down but if in a few years time I will need to get another kettle maybe it would be better going SS to start with.

cheers
johnno

Johnno, I think you will get quite a few years of service from a new pot provided it is not wafer thin. SS will last longer but I don't think the ali will vanish before your eyes. If you treat it properly you wont have any probs.

I am sure others who use aluminium can comment on the longevity of it (if they can remamber when they bought them :p)

I got a 50L stainless pot from an asian Store in Mt Lawley perth, $140 :p . It hasnt got the thick base of more expensive ones, but for the money its been good for my brewing. :beerbang:

johnno said:
While the general consensus is that the are safe to use as a kettle I was wondering what the view is on how long they will last. Will they last as long as a SS kettle. I am really trying to keep cost down but if in a few years time I will need to get another kettle maybe it would be better going SS to start with.
[post="46298"][/post]​
The good news is that by the time the Aly pot is past its use by date you won't even remember why you bought it.

I use Al for my HLT and I am always a bit leary when I add phos acid for sparge pH additions and of course you need to keep sodium hydroxide solutions away from them.

CHEF of Unley Rd, Unley in Adelaide can supply great 40-50L SS pots for about $130-140.

These pots are thick and would be ideal for brewing

Aluminium? not for me!

Jovial Monk

If anyone in Adelaide is interested I can get absolutely legal kegs (50 litres) for around $150.00. They come with a certificate of legal ownership.

Johnno, there is a place in Fitzroy called Hotel Agencies that does these- see their website.
Aluminium pots up to 90l. as well as SS.

No prices given though.

BLB,
I have called them. I didnt really get any prices for SS as it is very expensive. I can say that they quoted me $127.22 plus 10% tax for a 60 litre ally pot. I phoned around and the cheapest I could find was $99 including tax.

cheers
johnno

Big Al,
What is the name of the asian shop in Mt Lawley?(Or what is it near?) I may have to have a look at these babies.

I remember Red Dot(Bargain chain store) selling S/S stock pots of varying sizes, anyone tried them?
Cheers

Back