Aluminium or steel pot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fu ManBru

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Looking at trying a partial next weekend and am gonna buy a larger pot, prob in the 15 to 19 litre range (read a few people on here use the Big W model).

I read somewhere that steel is preferable over aluminium? Is this merely a quality thing or something else?

Cheers

Aluminium is fine unless you still believe in the alzheimer's connection.
Lightweight, corrosion resistant and cheaper. Steel is durable and heavy duty, also corrosion resistant so it's preference and budget.

Thanks Manticle,

Budget dictates aluminium. Did a bit of a google on the alzheimers connection and I don't have any concerns.

Hopefully I can post a partial success story on here post brew day.

I use both alu and stainless and I have considered getting another alu pot for my kettle just because of weight.
Whichever you go for though, make sure it's quality. I use chefinox 4mm pot for HLT. Bought a cheap 1-2mm pot years ago and cheap to buy was also cheaply made. Chefinox was twice the price but in use so far for 3times as long and counting.

I used cheap big W (19L) and Kmart (15L) SS pots for BIAB / LRGs 2 pot and they were fine. So reckon either would be fine for partials too.

If you are thinking of using an induction element then you cant use aluminium. Works fine with Stainless steel though.

Small pot cleaning = no issue

Larger pots, go stainless for easy cleaning with pbw etc, Alu not so good with alkaline cleaners (even dishwasher powder).

In your side though, get the 19$ bigw pot.

I ducked out and picked up a $19 dollar pot from Big W.

Prob upgrade later when I get more experience (and money....yeah right).

Thanks all for your input, I'lll let you know how I get on. Thinking Jets Fat Yak recipe for my first partial.

Latest posts

Back