Aluminium Kegs and beer history

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
Hopefully some of the history buffs and/or older members of the forum might be able to answer this question.

A friend of mine bought a 'bright tank' from gum tree. This consists of a converted commercial style keg with a tap, lid + thread and various other modifications.

The vessel itself appears to be aluminium - from patina, to weight to evident dents, I'm pretty convinced it's not stainless.

Without getting into a debate on the legality of holding a vessel that is old and definitely not of a type still in use (with mods done by a complete stranger to whom I have no relation) can anyone tell me if aluminium was commonly found in commercial AU kegs during any period of history? I found a Beer and Brewer article that talked about its use in the 1950s in some Carlton Kegs but info is scant.

I ask purely for interest - the vessel has been offered to me and I will either take it, pass it on for free or pass it on for the money he paid (which will then go to him).

He originally acquired it to allow particulate matter to settle in the making of bio-fuel but never got around to it and no longer has a car.

Don't know about Aus kegs but we used to get Newcastle brown at the pub i worked at. This came in aluminium kegs about 10years ago

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back