Alternative to Recultured CPA yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damien13

Reaction score
Howdy all.
Just after some opinions. I am well aware of the need to reculture CPA yeast in order to replicate 'that' aussie pale ale ester profile. BUT what if you can't?? Or what if the starter fails? What would be your second choice yeast. Mine would be S-04, but just after some other opinions. Oh, and the yeast kind of needs to be a dry one. However, if you have a liquid one that has worked well, then let me know!

Cheers folks,
Damien

Don't Whitelabs do an Aussie Ale yeast? I've never tried it as my suppliers have been Wyeast only, haven't heard any reports about it. Have you had problems culturing or is it a hypothetical question?

No probs culturing. Just want to advise a friend who freaks out at the thought of reculturing.. Figured I would give him an ideal answer (reculture) and a 'don't want to do any work' answer (dry yeast)...
Life is all about options I suppose.
Just checked out Craftbrewers website and they recommend K97 german ale. Am thinking about recommending a little satchet of coopers dry ale... but to be honest, I haven't used that for a few years, and am assuming it will taste shite... just hoping to tap into the brains trust I suppose.

I've done a Coopers Pale Ale tin with the Coopers dried yeast and no CPA smell at all, not even slightly...I think you will only get that from the Coopers recultured yeast

yeah.... I think you might be right. Just kinda hoping for a 'second best' yeast to recommend in case. ;)

White Labs WLP 009

Mr Malty describes WLP 009 as being from Coopers

What about that dry saison yeast? That'd tick the attenuation box, the fermenting warm box, the dry yeast box, and the pear esters as well.

hmmm really? didn't think of that.. I have never used that yeast, nor tried a saison I liked so I would be pretty hesitant. You will need to bring a good saison to our next meeting Nick!

If i was in a jam, and had no recultured yeast to use, i'd consider using Nottingham. Attenuates well, which should suit, and in my experience Notto leaves a little bit of a fruity profile behind compared to something really neutral like US05.

Won't get really close to the results of reculturing, but if i had it, i wouldn't think twice about subbing it.

I just ordered some WLP009, Core brewing concepts (no affiliation) have it in stock at the moment. I haven't used it yet, but have heard that it will do the trick for a CPA clone.

I have an Aussie pale ale fermenting at the moment. I did a double batch and used US05 in half and SO4 in the other half. Can taste the difference in only 3 days. The US05 has more of the hop flavor and the 04S has a more malt profile....... both bloody tasty though.

Ahhh this is what AHB is all about... Keep em coming fellas, you all rock!

Damien13 said:
You will need to bring a good saison to our next meeting Nick!
I only brew them in Jan/Feb when I can get average temps above 30C in my garage.

A mellow saison made with PoR and not fermented too hot comes out closer to CPA than you'd expect!

hmmm might have to give that a crack... I reckon Notto is winning at the mo in terms of ease of use. I have a pack, so it is good to go. Much experience with Notto Nick? I have heard it is pretty explosive!

I've never used any Danstar yeasts. Always heard they have attenuation or flavour-stripping qualities.

For my money Nick is spot on. wy3711 fermented cool is still a fantastic attenuator and comes out nice and dry and surprisingly 'clean' - still plenty of flavour, but if we are talking about coopers yeast we aren't talking 'neutral flavour', it (mostly) IS the flavour...

I haven't used the dried belle saison enough to comment, so not sure if it will perform cleanly but still with high attenuation at <20c like wy3711 will.

Notto makes beer though...just don't expect much hop profile to survive or any hugely interesting yeast characteristics.

hmmm so could you compare Notto with US-05? or is it a bit fruitier? Did I just derail my own thread?? naah

Damien13 said:
hmmm so could you compare Notto with US-05? or is it a bit fruitier? Did I just derail my own thread?? naah
Not really.

I find them quite different, and I use both yeasts a lot. Others may differ in opinion. US05 is a really neutral yeast - it doesn't impart it's own flavour, nor does it really scrub out other flavours already in it. It's a great yeast for strong APA/IPA styles where you really just want your recipe to come through as intended.

Notto (nottingham) ferments bullshit quick - i've had beers done and dusted inside 4days. But i find the same recipe fermented with Notto comes out a little fruitier, whether that's a characteristic of the yeast, or maybe it scrubs malt flavour to emphasise hop presence i'm unsure. But i can pick the difference between the two otherwise identical beers. (Double batch split between two cubes, fermented at the same time just with different yeasts).

As i said earlier, it won't get you all that close to CPA territory at all, but it's a good attenuator, so it'll ferment down low enough, similar to CPA, and if you can get the fruity thing from it like i sometimes get with it, then it won't be a bad beer at all.

If you're after the closest thing to using cpa yeast, then the suggestion of WL Aussie Ale is a good choice i'd reckon.

Thanks Nath, what would be your best dry yeast choice for CPA clone then?

Back