Alternative Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-dunn

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am wanting to know if there is a conversion for grains out there? If a recipe calls for say American 2 row, what could be used in its place?

I am using brew mate for BIAB method and cant source some of the grains.

Cheers

I've never been able to get a clear answer on converting American 2-row into Australian grains. Considering that basically every homebrew recipe on Earth uses American 2-row it's a bit of a pain.

In the end I just went and bought some sacks of your standard Barrett Burston ale malt. It's not the same thing, it's significantly darker, yank 2-row typically around 1.8ºL whereas BB ale malt is something like 3.2ºL, but I'm not really all that concerned. Most recipes that call for American 2-row are hop bombs anyway.

Hi Slash

That was my thoughts too. I did look at the %L and was seeing if I could get something close.

You are right about Hop bombs, the recipe I am wanting to do is one!!

Cheers

Pretty sure all the malt we get here is 2 row (AU and Euro) so probably just a pale base that matches in colour will do. If it's six row in the recipe, that's a different story - much higher protein content and other differences.

Back