Alright! I need help! In pimpama QLD

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Björnarr

Reaction score
Absolutely zero of my brews have managed to taste like proper beer, I need help and I hate... Really hate to admit that, if there's anyone in my area that can show me what I've got wrong I'd appreciate it, I've made alcohol that works but I want beer.

Tell us how you are making your beer and someone might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Regardless of whether you are doing all grain, extract or cans, the basics remain the same. Paying close attention to the following will result in huge improvements in your brews.
Sanitation
Temperature control during fermentation.
Quality ingredients - including water.
Yeast quality and pitch quantity.

It could be your taste buds.

I mucked around with kits and extracts for ages and never got the beer to taste 'proper'. Switched to all-grain and suddenly everything made sense. Other people also claim that no matter how much they pimp their kits they are always disappointed with the result.

Hey thanks guys, doing cans in the Cooper's kit, I really think it's just temp control, sanitising routine is as good as it can be, used to be a chef I know the importance of clean equipment in good repair, I just keep getting beer that is wine like

If wine like is your problem, first thing I'd look at is fermentation temperature control. What temperature are you fermenting at?
Second thing would be choice of yeast and how much you pitch. What are you using and how much?

Hey thanks guys, doing cans in the Cooper's kit, I really think it's just temp control, sanitising routine is as good as it can be, used to be a chef I know the importance of clean equipment in good repair, I just keep getting beer that is wine like
I am a can extract brewer. I don’t seem to have any problems. You seem to have the sanitising under control. So if you are following the recipe instructions to the letter then I would be looking at the following: Temperature control, I use a fermenting fridge with a temperature controller. I never use the yeast that come with the kits. I usually discard them and for ales a Safeale US 05 and for lagers a W34/70 or S189 and for lagers I double the amount of yeast I would use for ales. Brewing temperature for Ales 18c and 14c for lagers. Hydrometer readings are a must as well as a diacetyl rest for both ales and lagers. This diacetyl rest not only removes unwanted flavours but also ensure the yeast finishing its job.Oxygen can be problematic after the yeast has finished working. So be careful there. When I dry hop and have to open the FV I usually ad the hops a couple of days after the yeast has slowed down. That way the oxygen can still be forced out with the remaining working yeast.

Hey mate, The Coopers Draught is a great kit for beginners, i still use it after 8 years. Do it with 1 Kilo of Dry Malt and the yeast it came with. Use a hop teabag if you wish, but keep it simple. Make sure to check the date under the can, shelf life is 2 years. Brew at 18 - 22 celcius and give it at least 8 days, but no more than 16. As long as your sanitation is good it should make a decent brew.
The Coopers Lager can is no good imo.

Back