Allternative To Dme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggles

Reaction score
Has anyone used Dextrose instead of DME for doing a yeast starter? I'm doing a cider and didn't want to use DME as I was afraid of adding flavours that didn't really match the cider. Any idea on quantities and DO'S AND DON'T?

Diggles

If you need to make a starter for cider (there are reasons but what are yours?) then use apple juice.

I used DME for a starter in my last cider. It was a 2L starter and you would never know that there was any DME in there.
Probably didnt even need to do a starter, as I use dry champagne yeast. EC1117 or something like that.

Nothing wrong with a malt starter for your cider, if your worried about flavour carry over then just drain the liquid off the yeast after it has settled.
Dextrose won't be any good as a starter for the yeast, not enough nutrients, if you really want to go that way at least get some yeast nutrients to add to the starter to give the yeast a chance to perform properly.

Cheers boys, reason for doing the yeast starter was habit, do one for my beer, so why not cider? Also using Champagne yeast 1118, it's looking rather sluggish at the moment, furmenting at 17 deg C. Usually use apple juice, but forgot until it was tpp late and had 23L of water in the tub....doh!

Regards

Diggles

Latest posts

Back