All Taste The Same.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smashed_crab.jpg

smashed crab...sorry i am little pissy

Ok I'll delete all my posts from this thread. as it is a bit silly. Move along nothin to see here. B)

The Golden Ale was my favourite kit beer. It became an AG recipe but started out life as a kit recipe. I made a few changes to it in the kit days by steeping crystal, switching to US05 and really enjoyed it.

The kit recipe was added so that all forms of brewers could brew it and make something that i think tastes very nice. I would go so far as to say that a significant number of the 105 votes it has are due to kit brewers who made the kit version.

Is the AG version better, yes. Is the kit version shit, not by a long stretch.

I've judged the last few state brewing titles and tasted some very good kit beers that i scored quite highly, not a hint of twang to be detected.

I get sent/given Golden ales to taste on a regular basis, most AG but also a few kits. The worse one i have ever tasted was an AG, not a kit.

Telling a kit brewer his beers will be shit unless he ditches the can opener is not only extremely unhelpful it's also wrong.

Whilst i am an AG brewer I don't forget i was once a kit brewer and made very nice beer. I actually 'won' the Gawler Show homebrew competition in 2007 with a kit beer (an LCPA 'clone') beating out several AG beers. By won i mean best beer of the show (scored 45/50, only 1 less point than the AG golden ale scored in 2008 to win the beer of show at ANAWBS) and yes, it did piss a few people off when they found out it was a kit beer. The judges were amazed.

Cheers
DrSmurto - an award winning kit brewer! :chug:

Dr S for PM!

K&K can be good (where &K means malt extract, hops, a better yeast and possibly some grains)
AG can be good (it is more time expensive and there are more variables to control)

Just out of curiosity has anyone gone straight into AG from knowing nothing about brewing?
There would be a lot of variables to cover for AG when even some k&k brewers seem to have problems with reading a hydrometer or the basic process, depends on the person I guess.

I have only just got into AG (5 so far) but would say most of my later kit/extract beers would be comparable to what I have made so far.
I think a lot of the AG vs Kit/Extract is mainly down to experience.

You've all been trolled.

8 pages??? F$##$%#$!! Give it a rest!

What a snowball reponse! Cheers.
Lots of advice that I'll try out.

Thanks again. Banjo

What a snowball reponse! Cheers.
Lots of advice that I'll try out.

Thanks again. Banjo

Like every on topic reply says - most of the useful information is post 2-6.

The rest is pretty well fluff - welcome to AHB :D

Good luck, whatever you do. Lots of good information on here, but lots of us doing some self-backslapping as well.

Like most things on the internet, just requires a judicious eye to sift the fluff from the useful stuff.

Goomba

Here's a guy that went AG and then went back to extract, in a big kinda way. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=33523&st=0

Back to the time vs quality trade off that I mentioned.

His time is too precious to brew in 20L batches, when he can brew 300L in a similar time period. Obviously the quality trade off is satisfactory for him.

Every brewer has their price, and I understand and respect that not everyone wants to be making beer, one keg at a time.

300L is impressive, regardless of how you do it - I'm seriously amazed. One way or another, it requires some serious kit.

Time for me to get a 300L pot and a super-king sized sheet to make a BIAB bag out of. :D

Goomba

Has anyone given up brewing beer to go back to buying beer full time, by choice, not by circumstances (i.e. moving overseas, baby on the way, new job etc etc)

Cheers

I gave up 3 times. Mainly due to terrible results due to getting advice from brewcraft.

Has anyone given up brewing beer to go back to buying beer full time, by choice, not by circumstances (i.e. moving overseas, baby on the way, new job etc etc)

Cheers

At $90.00 for a carton of SN Torpedo IPA not bloody likely.

Extract might be not as good as all grain but it can certainly get you something nicer than 75% of what you will find in the shops and it being much less expensive probably doesn't hurt. Maybe i have no taste and smoke crack but an esb kit heffe blows imported out of the water. Low temp and good yeast peoples.

Also as far as people going straight into AG and skipping kit and extract it seems more prevalent in the US for whatever reason. Like you almost never hear of people doing kits but Ag and extract( lots of different choices other than light and dark) + diy hopping is the norm.

Odd.

The BrewCraft near me aren't too bad. Not that I buy more than the odd sachet of US-05 or a bit of crystal from them now anyway.

Latest posts

Back