All SS vs Corny keg - any real difference?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm look it getting my first keg in a couple of months so doing a research now on what's available and prices etc...

On a few NZ sites I've come across these type, rather than the more well used Corny keg. The cost and dimensions are pretty much the same (well, slightly more expansive), just wondering if anyone here has this type of keg, and has any opinions of them.

Same thing just shinier and more expensive, just watch out for the older fully stainless ones which are Rheem kegs they use a different post thread than the cornies and the poppet seals are an arse to replace

They look just like the now obsolete Keg King ones.

IF you can get to the store it's worth checking out the welds prior to purchase, some folks in the past have had some trouble.

Ive got a 9lt jobby of the same ilk that Ive been running for over 12 months without any issue at all... except the gas disconnect doesnt quite snap on without leaking a little.. no biggie for me though.

Yob said:
They look just like the now obsolete Keg King ones.
Hmmm, yes they do don't they. I guess there is a reason the are now obsolete...

Might be safer just to get the Corny, there a little harder to get though always seem to be "out of stock". I suppose there's a reason for that too. :)

The reason they are obsolete is that KK have made a copy/replica version of the corneilius with the same lid dimension and rubber base/tops. I've got two of the all SS versions and whilst they are not as good as the cornys due to no rubber, they work fine have dispensed each of them twice :)

Yeah, I think I prefer the idea of have a rubber base. I might just need to be a little patient and wait for a Corny or two. I've got at least a couple of months before I can get them anyway.

Was at LHBS the other day and mangrove jacks, brewcraft, coppertun or whatever they are called these days are doing new Italian Corneys that looked pretty smart, I didn't ask the price,
Keep an eye on TM as they pop up reasonably regularly, I picked three up for $50 each a while ago, new seals off ebay and a clean and they are as good as recondtioned

I might be wrong but I thought cornies were also capable of a lot higher pressure than the new stock kegs getting around? Not that you really need your keg to take more than 50psi but I think it is a reflection on the workmanship and longevity of service.

I also like the rubber bottom when rocking the corny keg on concrete for force carbing.

New Keg king ones with rubber for added protection are rated to 130psi working pressure.

I've got 2 of those type and the only issue I had was the PRV would release too low, the retailer replaced them f.o.c.

Otherwise all good, it's possible the welds might pose a problem with infection at some stage though.

Latest posts

Back