All Set To Go, But.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macr

Reaction score
Ok. I have finished my fridge :D(photo at the bottom). I have a mashmaster fridge controller :). I have my recipe for Jever Pils:
3Kg Black Rock Light LME
1Kg Morgan's Larger LME
440g Carapils (cracked and ready to go)
56.6g of tettnang hops (pellets)
45.6g Hallertau hops (plug)
10g Irish Moss
Saflager W34/70 Lager yeast
Got a small esky to steep grains
Got a 19L ss pot to boil and
Have fermenters.

Now the questions?
After I have done all the additions and boil and have poured the wort into fermenter then cooled to ~20*C. I pitch the yeast. How long do I leave it out of the fridge after pitching? Or can I put it straight into a fridge that is chilled to ~10*C?
After I reach my FG of 1011, I remove the fermenter out of the fridge and rack into a cube. I let it rest for how long? Is racking into a cube the same as secondary fermentation, or is it not due to be refridgerated for a while at ~1*C?

brewfridge.jpg

I'm not sure you can mash carapils by itself. The one I tried had no enzymes and needed to be mashed with other malt grain -

I haven't used that yeast but i have heard you can either add it and wait till it gets going and drop the temp or pitch at the rights temps. Live and learn

lou

I'm not sure you can mash carapils by itself. The one I tried had no enzymes and needed to be mashed with other malt grain
lou
Thanx Lou. I'll PM this thread to the person I bought the stuff off. He should be able to enlighten us to this quandry.

as i far as i know carapils is just a very light crystal and u should be able to steep the carapils as i have done once before

as i far as i know carapils is just a very light crystal and u should be able to steep emas i have done once before
Are you having a slght case of lysdexia? :p

Its ok to steep the carapils by itself (have never done it my self). It would be a shame not to add some pilsener malt to the esky though. "Steep" it at about 65C with the carapils. Will result in a maltier profile.

cheers

Darren

Your quite right there Jazzman, Carapils or Carafoam are both Weyermann trade marks for the same product: a VERY pale crystal designed to add body and head retention. Used a lot in low alcohol beers in Germany.

Wes

as i far as i know carapils is just a very light crystal and u should be able to steep emas i have done once before

While it is apparent that the carpils by itself will be okay..... if you are already doing a "steep", why not throw in a kilo of pilsner and make it into a minimash? Won't add too much to your brewday, but will add a lot to your beer!

dreamboat

I will see how this one goes and if it is ok, then I will then try your suggestion of adding pilsner. I will require a bigger esky to do a minimash.

Isnt carapils a light crystal malt therefore already gone through the conversion process in the grain? If so you need not to steep it but add it directly to the kettle in a bag? You could steep I guess and drarw off the liquid but dont expect any conversion process in the vessel.

Yes, Rocket, as Wes pointed out, Weyermann Carapils is a very pale dextrinous crystal malt and it's fine to steep...I use it quite a lot for a lovely white creamy head on my beers (any style) that has good retention and mouthfeel / body properties but contributes bugger all to flavour. I agree that a kilo of pils malt would really help and surely you can toss that into the pot along with the carapils???

Like any other crystal malt you can add it to a bag and use the bag like a giant teabag in the kettle if you want, but you want to make sure that you remove the bag before you boil!!
TL

Back