All Grain Vs Partial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigwilk

Reaction score
Looking to fill my 50 liter keg but my all grain system is only good for 35 liters , so i was thinking of doing a partial and using extract to make up the last 15 liters. Looking to hear from someone who has done similar and to find out how much of a difference there is in the flavor?

Looking to fill my 50 liter keg but my all grain system is only good for 35 liters , so i was thinking of doing a partial and using extract to make up the last 15 liters. Looking to hear from someone who has done similar and to find out how much of a difference there is in the flavor?

Have you thought about doing a dilution. Commercial breweries do it successfully. Basically brew 35 litre of beer using a 50 litre recipe and come kegging time add 15 litres of boiled low mineral content water - such as RO.

Keeping extract out means keeping the dreaded 'homebrew flavour' out

Steve

I've done a few partials to fill up 50 litre kegs. It really felt like I was doubling up on two of the most time consuming tasks, and producing a substandard result.
I don't mean that in the AG elitist way that is often conveyed here. The beer was cloudy from DME and the balance was affected by the unpredictability of extract that was not produced with brewing in mind.
If you're set on a partial, maybe try Briess malt.

Another option is to brew a double batch, then you could fill your 50 and a corny at the same time. Bonus!

Like labels said, if you can produce a high gravity wort and dilute into the fermenter you'd save yourself some trouble.

Back