All Grain To Serve To Mates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tasted my pale and chinook smash the other day. Now I think 20 odd ibus wasn't enough. Tasted really dry out of the fermenter, but now it's sweet?

I think the intended recipient will enjoy it. But not sure they'll love it.

Looking to plan a batch for the weekend to have ready for the AFL grand final. It's gotta be approachable to mega swillers. I've come up with 2 options so far:

Blonde Ale (JW Malts)
Pils 60%
Vienna 30%
Wheat 10%
FWH Magnum to 18 IBU
Saaz at 20min to 6 IBU
Saaz at 5min to 2 IBU
Wy 1056 to 18C
Mash at 66C
1047 OG
1010 FG

or
SMURTO Golden Ale

What should I go for? Any feedback for the Blonde?

Looking to plan a batch for the weekend to have ready for the AFL grand final. It's gotta be approachable to mega swillers. I've come up with 2 options so far:

Blonde Ale (JW Malts)
Pils 60%
Vienna 30%
Wheat 10%
FWH Magnum to 18 IBU
Saaz at 20min to 6 IBU
Saaz at 5min to 2 IBU
Wy 1056 to 18C
Mash at 66C
1047 OG
1010 FG

or
SMURTO Golden Ale

What should I go for? Any feedback for the Blonde?

Tony's LCBA

My megaswill mates love this... I have found that the golden ale even puts a few of them off but the Bright Ale never gets met with a screwed up face! Funnily enough I have three brews down at the moment for the GF weekend (also my Buck weekend) and there is a German Pilsner, Vienna Lager and a LCBA!

I'd say a Blonde Ale, from my experience with the two the Blonde is easier to drink. I've found SMURTO's to be too awesome for the average punter, but that could be just the flock I hang out with. Coincidentally I'm fermenting Jamil's "Call Me!" Blonde Ale from Brewing Classic Style's now.

Make sure it's yellow-gold.

Nothing tends to turn off drinkers of megaswill, euroswill or anything else fairly mainstream than a beer that's more than about 6-7 EBC. You could serve them Corona, colour it with food colouring to brown, and they'd still think it tasted 'too dark'.

I had a guy at work, who I've got into BIAB - and I gave him an APA, which was gold-red. It tasted 'too strong' and he 'doesn't like dark beers'.

Make sure it's yellow-gold.

Nothing tends to turn off drinkers of megaswill, euroswill or anything else fairly mainstream than a beer that's more than about 6-7 EBC. You could serve them Corona, colour it with food colouring to brown, and they'd still think it tasted 'too dark'.

I had a guy at work, who I've got into BIAB - and I gave him an APA, which was gold-red. It tasted 'too strong' and he 'doesn't like dark beers'.

It's amazing the number of people who turn their heads up immediately at the sight of a slightly dark golden beer, with the same reponse of 'i dont like dark beers'.

As per the above comments, swill drinkers drink with their eyes first, so anything bright and light will already have them curious and keen for a sample.

"so anything bright and light will already have them curious and keen for a sample."

Couldn't agree more.... I had three beers on tap, Smurto's Golden Ale, Tony's Monteith's Original and the Bright Ale... some felt the golden ale was too full on, although when i said it was like James Squires they liked it better! And they all said that the Montieth's was darker than they would normally drink! It had the least body of all three bloody beers (i stuffed it a little)!

The Bright Ale had them coming back for more and more... they really like the "lager one".

For those of you with pussy mates who turn their noses up at darker than VB beers, buy yourself some earthenware beer steins, with lids of course. Pour them a beer and tell them they arent allowed to look inside until they finish the first one and give you their opinions.

50% ale
50% wheat to 5.2% ABV

Single hop addition of something like Columbus to 20 IBU

American Ale II

End of story, they'll suck it up.

100% Wey Pils and NZ Hallertau to 25 IBUs with any lager yeast.

Bottle in green stubbies with a CPBF so it can be drank from the bottle.

People don't believe it's "homebrew". Homebrew doesn't come in a bottle without sediment tasting like Eurolager.

After some help guys. My mates want me to brew a beer for them. Now despite the fact that they're house beer is Emu Export, they are open to different beers. Now one guy has asked for something slightly sweet (like something with honey in it is how he described it). I'm thinking he means a bit of malty sweetness. Also i believe he said he had a beer that was dark like an amber ale but really clean and not too heavy, a session beer i guess.

So i'm thinking a amber ale kind of grain bill, fermenter with a lager yeast. I've got POR hops in the freezer, but am happy to use what ever hops, but i'd suggest they'd be after low bitterness and low hop aroma/flavour. Also i don't think anything with an overly yeasty character will go down to well, so a neutral clean lager yeast i think. I haven't dealt with any lager yeasts before, but i have a temp controlled fridge for fermenting, good sanitation practices and I am able to step up starters (although i dry yeast is an option i will probably use that, obviously pitching enough is crucial). So i'm fairly confident i can pull of a lager, but just not too sure on what yeast to use.

So suggest me a good recipe for a malty lager that people who drink Emu Export might like! Tricky one..

Brew the blonde you have on the cards I reckon. Looks great. My mega swilling mates go weak at the knees over anything pale with Vienna in it.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll brew the blonde ale and report back after grand final day. Theres some interesting other options posted that I wouldnt mind trying for next time. Cheers

100% Wey Pils and NZ Hallertau to 25 IBUs with any lager yeast.

Bottle in green stubbies with a CPBF so it can be drank from the bottle.

People don't believe it's "homebrew". Homebrew doesn't come in a bottle without sediment tasting like Eurolager.

Piss off man, he wants it for grand final not in months.. Im with bribie

You will be kegging i assume?

pale + wheat, American ale yeast, a few buckets of hops.. Carb amd drink...

can i have some too?

If you want something ready to go cam, come pick up a cube ;)

Most of the sensible recipes here could go with Safale US-05, perfect if your in a bit of a rush as well.

Piss off man, he wants it for grand final not in months..

Months? It's for megaswill drinkers. Follow a megaswill procedure.

1 week @ 14C, gelatine+polyclar in 2 days, keg and serve. If it takes longer than this then you don't know what you're doing.

People who think lagers should be treated like a kitten are pussies.

Back