All Grain To Serve To Mates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the suggestions, i do still have a keg of 95/5 with northern brewer from a month or so ago. so i like the thought of using some of the rye. This grain bill intersts me, although 35 ibu is up at my tolerance level too.

I might use the bill and see if i can get it down to 28 or so, what sort of colour do you think this will have?

I'll definately try it, just maybe not for this (and will stick at 35 ibu and dryhopped if not).....uncertain and have till tommorow or sunday to think on it...

IBUs in the high 20s will be just fine. Colour wise, mine generally come out about 7 to 10 SRM. Given you're using light Munich and light crystal I'd guess around 7 SRM but punch it into beersmith or similar and it will tell you.

This went exceptionally well.

2 kegs of Dr Smurtos that i brewed for the occasion were empty in 3 hours, the Redback clone that i tapped after that is decidely rocky this morning :lol:

I did brew the aussie ale recipe suggested in this thread as well and it is in the fermenter now ready to keg, so i'll give some feedback later.

First go at the Smutos and the missus is even drinking it. i've been brewing for more than thirty years and never seen her drink a full glass of home brew till now :eek:

I'll do more Smurto tommorow and then i'm doing the rye beer.

TheMatesAllLovedItPunkin

This went exceptionally well.

2 kegs of Dr Smurtos that i brewed for the occasion were empty in 3 hours, the Redback clone that i tapped after that is decidely rocky this morning :lol:

I did brew the aussie ale recipe suggested in this thread as well and it is in the fermenter now ready to keg, so i'll give some feedback later.

First go at the Smutos and the missus is even drinking it. i've been brewing for more than thirty years and never seen her drink a full glass of home brew till now :eek:

I'll do more Smurto tommorow and then i'm doing the rye beer.

TheMatesAllLovedItPunkin

Top work. Glad it went well.

I'd go a rye APA.

55% Ale
20% munich
20% Rye
5% caramalt

Centenial and Amarillo 60, 15 and 0 min to 30 to 35 IBUs.

US05 at 18 degrees.

Easy to drink but still something different to broaden their horizons. My mates love my Rye APA which is similar

Bigsam or others, can you give me a little guidance on the suggested schedule for the hops?

I assummed when you say Amarillo and Centennial you mean to use them in equal amounts at each time?

So i have for a 44l batch in brewmate;

20gm of each at 60
30 gm of each at 15
40 gm of each at 0 mins

this gives me 34ibu.

Sound right or should i be using the centennial for bittering and the Amarillo for aroma?

Bigsam or others, can you give me a little guidance on the suggested schedule for the hops?

I assummed when you say Amarillo and Centennial you mean to use them in equal amounts at each time?

20gm of each at 60
30 gm of each at 15
40 gm of each at 0 mins

this gives me 34ibu.

Sound right or should i be using the centennial for bittering and the Amarillo for aroma?
I'd go the 50/50 mix. Hopping schedule looks good however if it was me i'd go 20ibu @60, 15 IBU @10 and a 1 gram per L dry hop.

I had some mates over a couple of weeks ago.
On tap there was Dr Smurtos and a Stone and Wood clone. Also had a long necks that are an Aussie Ale with some Galaxy thrown in at the secondary ferment. (This was by mistake).

All GREAT beers. But the mates didn't care too much for the Dr or the Aussie ale, both carbed perfectly. However the Stone and wood clone, wasn't carbed very well to say the least, was a hit.

I think the good Dr's is a tad too malty for the mega swill drinkers, or at least my mates.

The funniest thing though, some ended up drinking the "White cans of pure syrup shit" by the end of the night.

Oh how they make me laugh!

20gm of each at 60
30 gm of each at 15
40 gm of each at 0 mins

this gives me 34ibu.

Looks great to me. I'd go 50/50.

Dry hop v flameout addition is matter of personal preference. Try 0 minutes (flameout) this time and dry hop next time, or even better both! I'd start out with about this amount of hops but for future brews you could bump up the later additions or add 5 or 10 minute additions.

Thanks mate, i've been doing both flameout and dry hopping for my last few brews and wouldn't mind giving the dry hop a rest for one or two either. The fruit taste of the hops can be too strong for me sometimes, like a drink of punch or juice.

I'll brew it next week or the one after and respond in the thread here when it's a goer.

I fukin love this allgrain stuff :lol:

Taking of the first runnings of this beer now while sipping on a glass of Bosuns Best bitter.

It smells fantastic in the 'toy shop' as the missus calls it.

I've kegged and carbed the Aussie lager suggested earlier in the thread too. Gunna have to have more mates around to drink it cause i can't see me drinking it.

I would have been proud as punch to have brewed this a few months ago in my K&K days, but now it's so bland i'd just as soon drink vodka and fruit juice :rolleyes: :D :D

Really looking forward to this rye, it's got two malts i've never tried before, the munich1 and the rye.

Brewing for how long versus opening cans?

I've been making my own beer as kit and kilo (opening cans if you will) for almost thirty years. I've been fermenting other brews for a long time too, from cider to mollasses and fruit to allgrain and corn with enzymes, just not for beer.

I've been brewing allgrain beer for three or four months i guess, and i'm never going back.

Luckily i already had all the gear, with big pots, grain mill, burners ect due to my other hobbies which cannot be mentioned.

And You!

aussieale1.jpg

Very clean and crisp and also bland. :rolleyes:

Only the second glass of the keg, expect it o clear up a lot, but it just tastes like a Crown lager. Clean and neutral and not at all like the apa's i've gotten used to.

Very clean and crisp and also bland. :rolleyes:

Only the second glass of the keg, expect it o clear up a lot, but it just tastes like a Crown lager. Clean and neutral and not at all like the apa's i've gotten used to.

i am itching to cold crash my LFPA so i can fill my 1st keg

i find i cannot bring myself to drink "mainstream" beer any more... bland surely is a word for it even my "bad" AG at least has flavor even if it is "interestingly flavorful" :rolleyes:

I am seriuosly loving this rye beer.

Never tried anything with rye before except bread, but i'm on the second keg of this in a week and can't stop drinking it. :beer:

It's sorta more malty than hoppy, but i think that's cause i haven't dry hopped it. Has a sweetness and a spiceyness.

It'll make a house beer for sure, just gotta figure out the dry hopping and will add it to the recipe db (with credit where it's due).

Any idea on dry hopping amounts/hops?

I have been using around the 100gms for my 44l batches. I really like centennial over the amarillo, should i be going for one hop as a dry hop or a combination again?

I am seriuosly loving this rye beer.

Never tried anything with rye before except bread, but i'm on the second keg of this in a week and can't stop drinking it. :beer:

It's sorta more malty than hoppy, but i think that's cause i haven't dry hopped it. Has a sweetness and a spiceyness.

It'll make a house beer for sure, just gotta figure out the dry hopping and will add it to the recipe db (with credit where it's due).

Any idea on dry hopping amounts/hops?

I have been using around the 100gms for my 44l batches. I really like centennial over the amarillo, should i be going for one hop as a dry hop or a combination again?

I've found that cascade & citra go really well with any APAs I've made with a bit of rye.

My roggenweiss (alright, hoppiness isn't a characteristic of weissbier, but bear with me) copped a wee bit of willamette and that was fantastic.

My last was 50g in the keg, force carbed and 3-4 days of OTT hoppy goodness that settled down into a nice aromatic hit.

If I was doing it to remain long term - it'd be 200g or so, not that it's cheap doing these things.

Goomba

Back