All Grain To Serve To Mates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkin

Rarely Serious
Reaction score
Got some mates coming round in a couple of weeks for an afternoon drink. I'd like to do a brew on the w'end to have ready to serve on tap that will make it easy drinking.

Ingredients i have are;

US-05 yeast

JW ale malt
JW pilsener malt
German wheat malt
JW wheat malt
Caramalt
Munich L malt
Rye malt

Centennial hops
Saaz
POR
Northern Brewer
Ammarillo
a small pack of Hallertau

Could someone reccomend a recipe that will use ingredients from this list and have non brewers happy?

looking for something around 5% and a 44l batch

Mate you can do plenty with that lot that will make your mates happy depending on what they are used to drinking.

Aussie pseudo lager, Dr Smurtos Golden ale (or pretty close), APA, American Wheat etc etc

s05 takes a while to settle though so might not be crystal clear in a couple of weeks depending on your process. I reckon you cant go wrong with the Good Dr's GA though. Recipe in the DB.

85% Pilsener malt
10% Munich
5% wheat

90 min boil

POR to 25 ibu @60min
15g Saaz at flame out or into cube.

Cheers

very similar to brad, i'd go:

95% Ale
5% Wheat

POR to 25-27 IBU's

US05 @ 17/18

Quite possibly one of the simplest beers to make, and it tastes pretty decent. Won't completely knock their socks off, but will make them feel more than "at home" with a lot of the other beers they probably drink.

Pretty hard to screw it up, single infusion at 65/66.

Actually, if you can get your hands on some CPA and reculture up some of the yeast in time, that will make a pretty close resemblance to the real thing.

The only question is time.

Are you kegging or bottling? If you're kegging, you'll shit it in......bottling though.....hmmmmmm will be tight. Beer will be very green after only one week in a bottle. Having said that, that's usually when i start opening them up - "quality control" and all that stuff. (read: lack of willingness to wait)

Faux Octoberfest option

50% JW Pils
50% Munich

60 min Northern brewer for bittering
10 min Saaz
0 min Saaz

IBU target 20-25

Aussie Ale option
85% JW Ale
10% Wheat
5 % Caramalt (percentage might be out as this is off the top of my head)

60 min POR 25 IBU

Using glelatine I always get clear beer 48 hours after adding when kegging even with 05.

I'd go a rye APA.

55% Ale
20% munich
20% Rye
5% caramalt

Centenial and Amarillo 60, 15 and 0 min to 30 to 35 IBUs.

US05 at 18 degrees.

Easy to drink but still something different to broaden their horizons. My mates love my Rye APA which is similar

As others have said, go the Coopers route (or US05 yeast if you cant be arsed culturing it up)

Using the Coopers yeast and the above grain bills (85% Ale/Pils, 10% Wheat, 5% Cara) will get you something really close to the original and keep your mates feeling all warm and fuzzy

Dead set easy to make and consume

Honestly, if they are megaswill drinkers they will be most impressed by your ability to accurately clone their beer. Or even improve on it slightly.

There might be one or two who have tried LCPA or JSGA etc and like it, but the vast majority of beer drinkers are most impressed when you have Carlton, or XXXX coming out of a tap in your fridge - not a beer that tastes like fruit punch.

I'd go 95% of JW Pilsner, 5% of Caramalt mashed at a healthy 66C (the megaswills are sadly lacking in body and all drinkers like body in beer, not all like esters and hop fruit).

Bitter with POR to 30-35 IBUs (slightly higher to offset the 66C mash). US05 at 18C. Gelatine on monday, polyclar on tuesday, keg on thursday. Crystal clear at 3C.

When in Rome.

I've had a XXXX Gold clone and a Chimay Premiere clone on tap before with a few people over, and you watch them filling their glasses and you think, "Either my friends are frickin' cretins, or I'm a beer snob ... probably both." :huh:

The Sunshine coast branch of the family came down for a BBQ. The last time I had brewed a XXXX lookalike for a birthday BBQ and they emptied the keg, although complaining a bit about the bitterness (20 IBU)
This time I proudly presented my Vienna Lager made on pure Weyermann Vienna Malt, the finest of hops from the Hallertau etc.

They dutifully drank it, then Johnno arrived "Hey who's for a VB?" "cheers, yes, thanks....."

+1 with Nick's suggestion.

3000 pils
600 White Sugar
200 Caramalt to give it that nice Reschs colour

POR Single Hop addition to 18 IBU

US-05 at 17 degrees for 10 days then gelatine the shit out of it.

:icon_cheers:

I'd go a rye APA.

55% Ale
20% munich
20% Rye
5% caramalt

Centenial and Amarillo 60, 15 and 0 min to 30 to 35 IBUs.

US05 at 18 degrees.

Easy to drink but still something different to broaden their horizons. My mates love my Rye APA which is similar

Thanks for all the suggestions, i do still have a keg of 95/5 with northern brewer from a month or so ago. so i like the thought of using some of the rye. This grain bill intersts me, although 35 ibu is up at my tolerance level too.

I might use the bill and see if i can get it down to 28 or so, what sort of colour do you think this will have?

I'll definately try it, just maybe not for this (and will stick at 35 ibu and dryhopped if not).....uncertain and have till tommorow or sunday to think on it...

Thank you for the contribution malted. About as helpfull as usual, and as relevant.

very similar to brad, i'd go:

95% Ale
5% Wheat

POR to 25-27 IBU's

US05 @ 17/18

Quite possibly one of the simplest beers to make, and it tastes pretty decent. Won't completely knock their socks off, but will make them feel more than "at home" with a lot of the other beers they probably drink.

Pretty hard to screw it up, single infusion at 65/66.

Actually, if you can get your hands on some CPA and reculture up some of the yeast in time, that will make a pretty close resemblance to the real thing.

The only question is time.

Are you kegging or bottling? If you're kegging, you'll shit it in......bottling though.....hmmmmmm will be tight. Beer will be very green after only one week in a bottle. Having said that, that's usually when i start opening them up - "quality control" and all that stuff. (read: lack of willingness to wait)

Can't go wrong with this recipe. I quite often do it and it tastes great as a basic beer. :beerbang:

Cream Ale with Northern brewer.

The brew that got swmbo from lolly water to beer!

Fents and Troys is a good one in the Recipes DB, just sub to NB hops, I have many times, and all will be good in the world.

.002c

Cheers

3000 pils
600 White Sugar
200 Caramalt to give it that nice Reschs colour
POR Single Hop addition to 18 IBU
US-05 at 17 degrees for 10 days then gelatine the shit out of it.

Bribie, you're a man amongst men! :icon_chickcheers:

Pretty similiar to what i would whip out
1.050 OG
20IBU (POR FWH)

90% Pils/Ale male
7% white sugar
3% Carapils
and 10g roast barley (.02% Yes, 10 grams)

adding a faint touch of roast barley adds another dimension without the colour that your swill mates will find familair if they drink cascade light for instance. ;)

Something to play around with.

If they drink cascade light, **** 'em and let them BYO or just buy cascade light.

If they are vaguely interested in beer but aren't beer geeks/snobs/brewers then anything pale, with a touch of body that is clear, lowly bittered (20-30 IBU) and has a touch of hop flavour will go down a treat. The grists suggested here will do that so it's up to you to figure out which hop flavour will work best. They like JS golden ale, use amarillo. They like coopers, use PoR. They like pilsner urquell or european lagers, use saaz or hallertau.

I'd be more worried about getting clean beer in two weeks but I guess if you filter and keg (I don't) it's doable. Most beers for me are 3+ weeks in the fermenter before being bottled.

Thank you for the contribution malted. About as helpfull as usual, and as relevant.

No worries mate, glad I could be of assistance.
Honestly it looks like you got plenty of terrific answers to your question.

Edit: BTW you know there is meant to be a couple of P's in Pumpkin?

I reckon that shopping trolley is a pretty good idea. as in you went out to the country for a BBQ but forgot your grill or someone stole it. have a look around, abandoned trolley problem solved.

Back