All grain recipe to emulate Coopers English Bitter kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I won a competition with a beer that included the Coopers English Bitter kit, and I'd like to make an all-grain version of it.

But I don't have many clues as to how to construct a base recipe that might taste similar to a base brew made with the English Bitter kit. The Coopers website description is: Coopers English Bitter is a brown copper colour with red hues and a creamy head. It displays a pleasing floral aroma with a blend of toasty/sweet malt flavours finishing with a firm bitter finish. Colour : 420 EBC. Bitterness : 620 IBU. If I plug the kit into this sites Kit and Extract Beer designer spreadsheet, just the kit in a 20L batch would be 37 IBU, 26 EBC, OG 1.026.

That said, I'm not sure how pivotal the kit was to the final beer, given it had a lot of additional characteristics from Briess Munich and Rye extracts, and Target/Sorachi/Ella hop additions at 20m and flameout, and dry-hopped with same.

But I think the English Bitter component would have some important ingredients. Looking at places like BYO, I'm thinking Coopers might use crystal, biscuit, flaked barley, maybe maize? I'd probably go for my blend of Target/Sorachi/Ella at the beginning of the boil.

Look forward to any suggestions,
B

(https://byo.com/mead/item/333-british-bitter-style-of-the-month)
http://byo.com/stout/item/334-british-bitter-style-of-the-month

mmmm, why go to all the time and effort to duplicate a "kit" beer? Just brew the kit and add what you did to win the comp.

Yep, agree with that. Sounds like it must have been a pretty darn good beer anyway, so just do it again.

A local brewer wants to do a 500 litre version with me, so I don't think they'll want to buy 25 kits :)

I reckon it'll taste even better all-grain anyway.

Back