All Grain Kolsch Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trough Lolly

"Drink, Feck, Arse, Girls"!
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Would anybody out there like to share with me their favourite Kolsch recipe? I want to make one true to style and have done a bit of reading on the net, so a true to style Kolsch (eg, PJ Fruh, Malzmuhlen, Pfaffgen, Kueppers etc, would be preferred...).
Any Kolsch recipies in Promash format would be gratefully accepted! :D
Thanks in advance ;)
TL :chug:

hi
i have a great recipe if can you wait a day so i will get it organized as my new computer as it does not have promash yet
This beer won the Queensland comp in 2002 and was made by the Brewery in Townsville
Ray

Hi Ray,
After tasting your German Pils at the AABC, I'll take any recipe you've got!!
Cheers,
TL

did you end up getting that kolsch recipe?
anyone else recommend a kolsch similar to the one described?
cheers

Freischems Brauerei recipe is:

90% Pils malt
5% Munich 1
5% Wheat

Tradition at 75min
Tradition at 0min

Much the same as Jamil's Z. recipe from Brewing classic styles.

Recipes for Kolsch should include the Yeast strain used. IMHO the grain's really don't have a lot to do with it, it's all about the yeast and how you treat it.

Recipes for Kolsch should include the Yeast strain used. IMHO the grain's really don't have a lot to do with it, it's all about the yeast and how you treat it.

Fair call. I use 2565wy at 16C. Very clean/neutral.

Freischems brauerei brew with scavenged top cropped yeast from suenner brauerei and ferment at plus 20C in open cylinder fermenters. :icon_chickcheers:

This is on my to-do list; it might bring the BJCP style Nazis out in a rash, but what would they know about Klsch anyway. OK so it may be a bit darker and fuller than modern Klsch but dam it looks tasty and Weyermann tend to know what they are talking about. View attachment 40711

MHB

anyone else recommend a kolsch similar to the one described?
I have the following recipe 'lagering' just now.
(Recipe based on Brewing Classic Styles/podcast. Salt additions on Melbounre water and BeerSmith's profile for Cologne/GER.)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 32.81 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.Grain 90.0 %
0.25 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 5.0 %
25.00 gm Hallertau 08 [6.30%] (90 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
6.50 gm Hallertau 07 [5.70%] (90 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.80 gm Yeast Nutrient (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 gm Sodium Bicarbonate
2.00 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4)
4.00 gm Calcium Sulfate
8.00 gm Calcium Chloride
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (SlurryRepitch) [Starter 200 ml]

Mash Schedule:
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 7.00 L of water at 58.5 C 50.0 C 30 min
Saccrification Add 6.00 L of water at 77.3 C 61.0 C 30 min
Mash Out Add 6.00 L of water at 92.3 C 70.0 C 30 min

Notes:
------
2010-08-10: Mash temps more like 52-61-66
22L into fermenter @ 1.048
Pitch yeast @ 13C, (raise temp by 1C each 12 hours to) ferment @ 17C
2010-08-24: @ 1.009, Lager/Chilled to 4C

(Recipe based on Brewing Classic Styles/podcast. Salt additions on Melbounre water and BeerSmith's profile for Cologne/GER.)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 32.81 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
4.00 gm Calcium Sulfate
8.00 gm Calcium Chloride

Mash Schedule:

Notes:
------
2010-08-10: Mash temps more like 52-61-66
22L into fermenter @ 1.048
Pitch yeast @ 13C, (raise temp by 1C each 12 hours to) ferment @ 17C
2010-08-24: @ 1.009, Lager/Chilled to 4C

The 90 Pils, 5 munich, 5 wheat (%) is pretty common and reliable. I've got a cube with that exact grain bill now, but by mistake I use Munich II instead of I :rolleyes:

Recipe Specifications
4.00 gm Calcium Sulfate
8.00 gm Calcium Chloride

Mash Schedule:

looks like ill smash this one out. just a few question;
Im doing it BIAB...is there any way i dont need to do the saccrification? is it going to make a difference
also how much difference is the water additions, such as Calcium chloride, going to make if i dont add it.
also have the german ale k-97, how well is that going to go?
Cheers

looks like ill smash this one out. just a few question;
Im doing it BIAB...is there any way i dont need to do the saccrification? is it going to make a difference
also how much difference is the water additions, such as Calcium chloride, going to make if i dont add it.
also have the german ale k-97, how well is that going to go?
Cheers
Just briefly

The scarification rest is the temperature where the starch is converted into sugar, so yes it's fairly important! You might consider skipping the Protein rest and just doing an isothermal mash in the mid 600C's.

Calcium is very important in all mash brewing, you want between 50 and 100 ppm for a bunch of reasons, understanding the role of Calcium is pretty much fundamental to mash water chemistry. Clearly something you could go and read up on, start with Palmer and go on from there, there is lots of good info out there.

K-97 is an interesting yeast, I'll probably get burned at the stake for heresy, but personally think it isn't a bad choice, Wyeast Klsch would be my first choice, having said that I haven't used K-97 for a while and not in this style, might be worth revisiting

MHB

K-97 is an interesting yeast, I'll probably get burned at the stake for heresy, but personally think it isn't a bad choice, Wyeast Klsch would be my first choice, having said that I haven't used K-97 for a while and not in this style, might be worth revisiting

MHB
Well K97 is a german ale yeast, so in theory it should work.
I've tasted some nice alts made with it that's for sure.
The prospect of a yeast that works in an alt working in a kolsch probably would be considered heresy in some parts of the world :)

I think its a yeast that gets a bad rap. My theory is that it's because it was sold as a wheat yeast for so many years, and it doesn't make great wheats. It was also notoriously slow to start for a while at one point, but I haven't used it for a while either so that could have been a batch(s) thing...

This one managed to win the mash paddle in 2007 - 2565 @ 14 if I recall correctly. Filtered please!!! Or at least fined to within an inch of its life. Kolsch's taste just plain nasty with any yeast at all in suspension... and kolsch yeasts take a damn aeon to settle out.

This recipe calls for a pilsner malt you wont be able to get - but I've made it with regular German pilsner and if anything its nicer.

TB

View attachment Dans_Kolsch__1.rec

TB, what format is the recipe you posted? I can't seem to open it with anything obvious.

T.
ps I'm planning a Kolsch and a Berliner Weizen (sour mash). Would the Kolsch yeast cake be appropriate for the the Weizen?

TB, what format is the recipe you posted? I can't seem to open it with anything obvious.

T.
ps I'm planning a Kolsch and a Berliner Weizen (sour mash). Would the Kolsch yeast cake be appropriate for the the Weizen?

I've got a Berliner Weisse planned as well but using the recent PC Berliner Weisse yeast strain. I'm pretty sure the Berliner uses a side by side ferment with yeast and Lacto but in saying that I think the Kolsch yeast cake to ferment a sour beer would be tasty. I'd keep the ferment temp down a bit though to make sure you don't overdo the fruitiness that the yeast throws.

I've got an AG Kolsch on tap now 95% Pils and 5% wheat, FWH about 10% of the total hops, the rest added at 60m. I've done a few now and mix up those hops a bit. I think I used Hallertau this time and the Wyeast Kolsch II yeast. Love the aroma of this yeast.

Having done a couple of very plain Kolsches I may have a crack at adding some Munich to one as suggested above to see how she goes. I wanted to avoid using it the first few times to get a nice pale version 9although decoctions do add a bit of colour) Love the flavour of Kolsch and love the Kolsch yeasts so any excuse :D

TB I can't get that recipe either, interested to see what's in there.

i'm drinking a kolsch now that was brewed 28/8

100% weyermann pilsner, mashed 45 min @ 63, 30 mins @ 72
24 ibu czech saaz @ 90 mins and 3 ibu czech saaz @ 15 mins
wlp029 @ 16 degrees 2 weeks

man this is one fine beer,

it tasted very ordinary at start but has come into its own after 4 weeks lagering in the keg

i have some wy2575 kolsch II that i will use for my next one, same recipe

i kept reading that this style is all about the yeast, and the grain/hop schedule should be simple

i exercised control and kept it simple and am glad i did, this really is a beautiful and unique beer

T.

It's a promash recipe.. When I get to the home PC i'll repost it as text.

Basically it's pilsner malt with a bit of wheat and a touch of Munich.

Kolsch yeast would be perfect for the non sour part of a berlinner Weiss recipe - but remember, I think kolsch yeast tastes like puke in suspension... So I would ferment with the kolsch, fine or filter to brightness, then add the souring agents. Easy for me, when I make berlinnerweise, I ferment the plain, Brett and lactic components as separate beers... Then blend them into the final beer and let that go for a little while to let the Brett and lacto at any stuff they might want to eat that's left in the base beer. If I'm adding fruit, I add it at that stage. This let's me get the sourness and Brett character much more quickly. I'm also not afraid to tweak the sourness up with lactic acid... Tweak mind you, still get most of it from bugs, but I aim at the lower end of the scale knowing that I can add more if needed.

TB

Back