All Grain Induction Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrdanielpcollins

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Thought I'd share a set up ill be attempting tonight.

B Double U 19L Stock Pot
IKEA Induction plate
Target exercise mat.

Currently doing a trial run to see how long it takes to heat up.
As of now it took 18mins to go from 40°C to my Strike temp of 74°C.

I'm letting it continue up to see how long it takes/if it even makes it to a boil.

I cut up an exercise mat as insulation which ill trail to see how it holds temp once the boil has cool back down to mash temp.

Awaiting delivery of 3 All Grain brews from BeerCo. Looking forward to tonight's brew!

Anyone else used this induction hob for brewing. I'm hoping I can use the pause function to help keep mash temp steady if i find my diy insulation fails....

Attachments

• 20200703_124558.jpg
    20200703_124558.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 25
Quick update rolling boil in 45mins.

From memory my gas stove top took a little longer....

Dunno which is more expensive..Lol but loving being able to have the pot insulated whilst heating.

Numbers say your putting in about 1100W (based on you having 15L in the kettle) which will be enough to get a decent boil.
Mark

Edit
Cross over postings
That looks more like 1400W again based on 15L in the kettle.
M

Numbers say your putting in about 1100W (based on you having 15L in the kettle) which will be enough to get a decent boil.
Mark

Edit
Cross over postings
That looks more like 1400W again based on 15L in the kettle.
M
Level 9 on the IKEA Induction is meant to be 2000W.

Either way im happy with the boil that was happening. Letting it cool down down to see how the insulation goes.

Then will check the pause feature which is meant to keep the liquid warm...

Thanks for the reply

Probably about right, the heat I'm talking about is the energy going into the water.
That doesn't include any losses and as I said its based on 15L, if you had 18L in the kettle it would be higher, less insulation it would be lower.
It is the energy going into the water that will determine the temperature rise and the boil off rate. A small gas burner might be producing 3-4kW worth of energy, but by the time you take into account the amount that just goes to heating air, re radiates as inferred, the amount of heat getting into the water might easily be less than 1kW.
I think your getting a good result.
Mark

Back