All Grain Honey Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattress

Reaction score
My bees have been very productive over the summer and I have lots of honey. (80kg from 5 hives)

One of the hives produced a dark, thick (like toffee) honey that I'm going to use for brewing.

So, any suggestions on an all grain recipe using honey?

Thanks

Gordon Strong uses honey in a lot of his recipes, just the one type, Orange Blossom honey, so it has a distinctive taste. Mark (MHB) suggests that unless the honey has a distinctive flavour it just ferments out, which I have read from other experts. I did think of using orange zest with the honey but gave away that idea when I read that honey from India and China may not be real honey.:(
Ended up dropping the 2 kilo I had at Food Bank in Yarraville, Gordon Strong's Book Modern Home Brew Recipes is available on kindle and you may find some of his recipes on line.

I did this honey lager recently, it turned out very nicely. Very distinct honey aroma, quite strong for the first month but it fades in time a bit. For a light lager style beer you really want the lightest, most delicately flavoured honey only - something like a blue gum honey. For the dark honey you have, something like a porter might be more appropriate. The trick is to add the honey at high krausen, which preserves the most delicate honey aroma. I didn't pasteurise my honey before using.

note the use of all vienna and munich malt, because the honey adds 12% of the fermentables I thought it would be thin to use pils malt.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 29.04 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.04 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.50 l
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 16.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes