All grain 3V electric system

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice work. I think a mame cabinet is on the cards for my shed.

Out of nowhere our company gave everyone a very nice bonus (which we were entitled to mind you) so it was time to make use of the heating element and leftover stainless bits to build a HLT. Here's my new HLT in all its stainless glory (cheap eBay purchase). Currently running off an STC-1000 but will utilise the PID once my thermocouple arrives in the mail -

gallery_31264_1089_2257701.jpg

I have found that it overshoots due to lack of flow and hence inconsistent heat in the water. Not a huge drama as I can stir to maintain.

HLT internals. Uncomplicated and all stainless. Will have a compression fitting with a small tube of stainless one day to place suction above the height of the element and prevent boiling dry. Minor rusty bit which is consistent with the price paid for the pot.

gallery_31264_1089_3329878.jpg

I decided to splurge on some insulation which will save cash in the long run, improve ramp times and maintain better temp control. I had some left over so why not insulate the HERMS coil? I also cut new lengths to and from the HEx because I no longer need to prick about with these and this is far neater. Let heat loss through the section now too.

gallery_31264_1089_5973899.jpg

Here's my favourite part of the update - proper sparging. Before I had to -
  • Heat sparge water in boiler (dipping the sensor in)
  • Empty mash liquor to a fermenter
  • Add sparge water to MLT
  • Transfer mash liquor from fermenter to boiler
  • Empty sparge liquor to boiler
Now all I do is -
  • Disconnect pump suction from MLT and connect to HLT
  • Connect MLT out to boiler in
  • Sparge
This will also rinse the HERMS coil and hoses and make the whole process simpler. If I want to batch sparge well I can do that too.
I think I'll run the HERMS PID while sparging just to ensure the sparge water is consistent and hot by the time it makes its way to the mash tun.

gallery_31264_1089_2602271.jpg

I'm doing a re-brew of my first ever AG attempt tomorrow after modifying the recipe so here's hoping it all goes well. Everything's been cleaned to buggery and I'm keen to see how the insulation performs. EXCITING STUFF.

I kegged an oatmeal stout last night and am happy to say that ALL plastic or off flavours are gone. Can't wait for it to condition so I can drink it.

I ended up installing a LBP on my HLT as stirring it gave me the shits pretty bloody quickly, works a treat, never missed a beat and wouldnt do it any other way, it has its own pickup and return so does the added job of keeping any salts ive added to the HLT in solution.

Looking good... will look even nicer when you insulate those lines ;) :p :lol: :icon_cheers:

Gotta say Yob, your HLT was my inspiration for the insulation. LBP will probably happen in time.
Line insulation? Note the flashy yellow welder to the left? It's also a spanker. I'll be making a stand before I do anything else I think. Haven't even had a chance to give it a crack with the brewery upgrades.

Maybe someone's still following this thread...
Updated system works an absolute treat. Did my first no-chill cube today too. Did a recipe at 80% efficiency and hit 1.049 (target 1.046) and managed to completely fill the 20l cube with a tiny bit left over. Borrowing a chest freezer and once my yeast has been stepped up to 2l I'll give my first lager a crack. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396087611.652610.jpg

Hey mate,

Just read your thread, looks like you're finally on the home stretch :)

Do you mind explaining how you built the HERMs please? Looking at the below picture, I can't figure out where the heating element went?
Also, is that drainage pipe used? Keen to build one of these myself soon, thankful for any advice you could part with!

Cheers
Martin

gallery_31264_1089_95291.jpg

That's the one.
Also check out the retail thread for Nev's (online brewing supplies) new flashy housing. If you've got the coin it will keep the brewery looking schmick and will make good beer to boot.

Quite a read, where did you get your insulation from?

What was the original silicone you used? Remember the brand/type?

Insulation was purchased from Bathurst Rubber in town. Almost guaranteeed to be this stuff - http://www.jenkinsrubber.com.au/?stg=657&view=657
Did wonders to ramp times and totally worth it. I plan to do the HLT as well but funds are low this time of year. Plus, look at it.

Adr_0, pretty sure the sealant was this stuff - http://www.selleys.com.au/sealants/silicone/glass/#information
Can confirm when I get home. I recall it being high temp rated but I don't recall waiting 7 days for it to cure. I used a silicone washer and Bostich life-ruining shit on the page before, then sealed the outside with this stuff. The sealant by far and away had the biggest impact on plastic contamination. Absolutely horrible. Even the dog rejected it.

Cool, know to avoid. I'm still keen to try some silicone on my temp probes and mash tun. Going to try the Silastic 747 — perhaps not ideal (748 looks like the goods) but I might do a sacrificial mash/boil and see how it goes.

On the LBP being undersized, are you sure? It had been unreal for me, as long as there is no restriction on the inlet/suction side and I do a clean-in-place with PBW after the mash.

The 'labouring' sound you heard was most likely cavitation. The pump not flowing was potentially a gummed up shaft.

I will show you a pic of my LBP header system shortly...

TheWiggman said:
Insulation was purchased from Bathurst Rubber in town. Almost guaranteeed to be this stuff - http://www.jenkinsrubber.com.au/?stg=657&view=657
Did wonders to ramp times and totally worth it. I plan to do the HLT as well but funds are low this time of year. Plus, look at it.

Adr_0, pretty sure the sealant was this stuff - http://www.selleys.com.au/sealants/silicone/glass/#information
Can confirm when I get home. I recall it being high temp rated but I don't recall waiting 7 days for it to cure. I used a silicone washer and Bostich life-ruining shit on the page before, then sealed the outside with this stuff. The sealant by far and away had the biggest impact on plastic contamination. Absolutely horrible. Even the dog rejected it.
Interesting, a PE foam rated to 100°C.

I want to insulate and wood clad all my vessels (HLT & BK for now - MT when I replace the esky). I was trying to find a retailer for a foil backed PU foam (without much luck) as I thought most PE foam would melt at 100. I was even prepared to leave out the insulation on the BK and just clad it in wood (which would probably insulate it well anyway). But if this is rated up to 100....

Now to find a retailer in melbourne... :unsure:

As for the sealant, I've used selleys-401 around my element enclosure. It's high temp & non-toxic (incidental food contact). So I'm not too concerned (at the moment) if there is a little bit of contact inside threads.

mofox1 said:
As for the sealant, I've used selleys-401 around my element enclosure. It's high temp & non-toxic (incidental food contact). So I'm not too concerned (at the moment) if there is a little bit of contact inside threads.
Any plastic tastes? I did a test seal on an esky and it seemed to be ok, but it's an acid cure silicone so I am a little nervous. I guess I should call Selleys/Dow Corning and see about acidic food, eg milk or mashes, and how this impacts acid-curing silicones...

That insulation is $32/m for the 10mm x 1000mm off the roll stuff. 5m delivered to country NSW was $215. I can see why you didn't do it all

I've been tempted to clad my pots in some insulation - this stuff you've used looks good, but I cant get away from the awesome old-world feel of cladding in some nice timber with a stainless steel 'belt'

Interested thread, glad the nightmare has come to an end!

Adr_0 said:
Cool, know to avoid. I'm still keen to try some silicone on my temp probes and mash tun. Going to try the Silastic 747 — perhaps not ideal (748 looks like the goods) but I might do a sacrificial mash/boil and see how it goes.

On the LBP being undersized, are you sure? It had been unreal for me, as long as there is no restriction on the inlet/suction side and I do a clean-in-place with PBW after the mash.

The 'labouring' sound you heard was most likely cavitation. The pump not flowing was potentially a gummed up shaft.

I will show you a pic of my LBP header system shortly...
I don't think I ever said the LBP was undersized, in fact the opposite. It was a trooper while it lasted. When it started to struggle it was almost certainly due to a gummed up shaft. I didn't realise it could be removed, and I wish I did. Certainly wasn't cavitation, I know what that is / sounds like. Unfortunately I didn't have PBW at that stage but did give it a lot of cleaning and rinsing after each use.
I've seen the pump on some photos of your old setup (AdRIMS thread), keen to see the new setup.

mofox, I asked the bloke at the shop and he called the supplier. Got off the phone and said "Yep, is safe for use on pots with boiling water. Just keep it away from flames".

sjp770, I paid $50 for a metre for the self adhesive.

Nightmare has definitely come to an end. I've enjoyed many a good beer since :beerbang:

Here's the sealant I used Adr_0.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406722048.188234.jpg

I'm an idiot.
On reflection I bought this for the guttering when I built my shed. I had leaks in my kettle, this was there, so I used it. Sealed the leak, carried on.
My best advice I think was advice I left in another thread - follow others' advice.

Back