All citra beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisispants

Reaction score
Hey, has anyone made an all Citra beer?

I love it! However I'm not sure it's balanced enough to handle the whole hop bill. I guess there's only one way to find out, however if anyone else had made one, I'm more than happy to learn from others mistakes!

Just drinking this at the moment.
IMG_3959.jpg

Cube hopped with 30g citra ( nothing in the kettle) and dry hopped 3g/L, probably 25=30 IBU, OG was 1.050, fermented 1272.
I brew double batches and the other cube got the same amount of Simcoe and used the MJ us yeast. The citra brew came out much cleaner and more bitter ( clean bitterness though) and much tastier although the missus preferred the simcoe as it was less bitter.Won't bother with the MJ yeast again.

Just blew my second keg of all Citra Black IPA. Was thinking of doing the second with Citra and something else, but I'm kind of glad I didn't. Was bloody lovely. I currently have a Red Saison on tap with equal amounts of Citra and Mosaic, and I reckon they play well together.

Look into the Zombie Dust IPA, its a recipe that has a decent malt bill and its all Citra.

I will help you drink it. I have a all Columbus lined up to drink in about 4 weeks.

definitely mate. i made an all citra APA and it was a cracker

Citra lends itself to a single hop beer, it has plenty of flavours (bit like Galaxy really, that is on the variety of flavours), just don't overdo it, like many US hops it has punch. Next time, for a subtle bang, try Bavaria Mandarina....superb.
K

I brewed a clone of Kern River Citra DIPA. I dunno what the original tastes like but mine was good.

Just include enough malt (crystals and/or munich/vienna, for me) to balance the grapefruitiness of citra (which I personally don't care much for in heavy/single use..see Rogue's Yellow Snow or Oakham's Citra).

And, as a side note, hello to Dr K...there's an account that hasn't been around for a while.

Good brewing to the OP, post results.

dr K said:
Citra lends itself to a single hop beer, it has plenty of flavours (bit like Galaxy really, that is on the variety of flavours), just don't overdo it, like many US hops it has punch. Next time, for a subtle bang, try Bavaria Mandarina....superb.
K
Agreed, it's quite nice, found I had to use quite a bit more of it than I would citra, would have to use buckets in an IPA but great on a light grain bill.

Pratty1 said:
Look into the Zombie Dust IPA, its a recipe that has a decent malt bill and its all Citra.
Brewed this recently for the second time. +1 on the malt bill to balance, this beer is really all about balance. Lots of malt, sh*tloads of hops, but a very drinkable beer.

ZDC-2
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 19.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.550
Total Hops (g): 223.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.064 (°P): 15.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.29 %
Colour (SRM): 9.7 (EBC): 19.1
Bitterness (IBU): 40.5 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Pale Ale Malt (81.08%)
0.450 kg Munich I (8.11%)
0.200 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (3.6%)
0.200 kg Crystal 60 (3.6%)
0.200 kg Melanoidin (3.6%)

Hop Bill
----------------
21.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
28.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
28.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
28.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
28.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.5 g/L)
90.0 g Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 7 Days (Dry Hop) (4.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
5.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
0.5 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
2.0 g Yeast Nutrient @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 68°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with Safale S-04

Yob said:
S04 in an American?
Apparently that is what 3 Floyds use (or the liquid equivalent). I think the reasoning is for the yeast to leave a bit more ferment character than 05, maybe a touch more body?

Given the amount of hops and malt I am not sure if you would notice the difference between 04/05

Yes, but it's an English ale yeast.. Making, erm.. English ale not American ale.

I can't stand the yeast either, bloody lazy stalling effing stuff.

Yob said:
Yes, but it's an English ale yeast.. Making, erm.. English ale not American ale.
Yob,

I have recently changed from using American Ale strains to English for my Pale Ales and IPA's. Technically that would make them non American but they really do get a better beer, the English strains are more fruity and get more flavor from the hops coming through.

Stone brewery in the US use an English strain aswell as Brewdog in Denmark. I still will use the American strains and they too yield good results, if you haven't tried them yet on an IPA give one a crack with 002 or 007 and yes S04.

I would base the style on the hops used more than the yeast strain and US hops and English yeast I found to pair better for a hop forward beer like AIPA.

I purchased 250g of citra. As a newbie I'm trying to use smash, to get an better understanding of hops and malts. It been really a great experience. I'll be putting on a voyager citra smash when home from holidays. I'm excited about the voyager malt as its from NSW.

I've been using 1469 & 1968 in a lot of my 'American' ales of late. Just gives a little more character than the 1272 I used to exclusively use for my APAs.

bigmacthepunker said:
I purchased 250g of citra. As a newbie I'm trying to use smash, to get an better understanding of hops and malts. It been really a great experience. I'll be putting on a voyager citra smash when home from holidays. I'm excited about the voyager malt as its from NSW.
can i ask where you get the malt from mate?

Back