Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@KegLand-com-au it seems these cans are dried up here I the US. All distributors aren't sure when they'll be getting cans again. Can you shed some light on the issue and when we can expect more? Prices are starting to rise with ebay vendors!

And is the cannular able to seal US 16oz cans without any adjustments?

The corona virus might have something to do with the supply issue. Also some suppliers have been running out the stock of the older style can and getting the Full Aperture cans. We are mostly doing these full aperture ones now as they are only slightly more expensive but give a better drinking experience. Looking in America it looks like you can get the Full Aperture ones from them now:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/fresh-aluminum-beer-cans-500ml169-oz-case-207.html

These will fit our stock standard Cannular Manual machines without any adjustment.

The corona virus might have something to do with the supply issue. Also some suppliers have been running out the stock of the older style can and getting the Full Aperture cans. We are mostly doing these full aperture ones now as they are only slightly more expensive but give a better drinking experience. Looking in America it looks like you can get the Full Aperture ones from them now:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/fresh-aluminum-beer-cans-500ml169-oz-case-207.html

These will fit our stock standard Cannular Manual machines without any adjustment.

I saw those, but in the long run, I don't have much interest in paying even more for a product I don't need, since I pour my beer into a glass.

- So are you not able to know when you'll have more of these normal cans available?
- Also, will the cannular seam the american 16oz cans? Or is there a modification we'd need to make? I know they're shorter in height which is fine, but wanted to see if I would need to make a change to the top chuck.

When I first received mine I was holding the lever too long for each roller, and what happened was I was getting micro tears in the metal and thus creating the leak.
You will notice if you have done this if the seal has a sharp edge to it.
So try only a split second on each action.

Daz
I haven't read this thread in depth and i apologise in advance. I have one of these Cannular's machines and i am finding that when i can a batch of 30 X 500ml cans, i am having around 8-10 with leaking seals. At a percentage of 1/3 of the number of cans leaking, i am rather frustrated.
I have done all the appropriate adjustments (these took about 2 hours as it was pretty finicky) and the rollers are the correct distances but i am still getting way to many leaks.
Has anyone else had this issue and if yes, what was the solution you found worked. If any at all.

I saw those, but in the long run, I don't have much interest in paying even more for a product I don't need, since I pour my beer into a glass.

- So are you not able to know when you'll have more of these normal cans available?
- Also, will the cannular seam the american 16oz cans? Or is there a modification we'd need to make? I know they're shorter in height which is fine, but wanted to see if I would need to make a change to the top chuck.

Looking at the More Beer website it looks like the full aperture cans are being sold for the same price. So I think More Beer are absorbing the difference in price in America.

When I first received mine I was holding the lever too long for each roller, and what happened was I was getting micro tears in the metal and thus creating the leak.
You will notice if you have done this if the seal has a sharp edge to it.
So try only a split second on each action.

Daz

Thanks for that. Yes we would agree. All you need is like 1 sec for each pull/push and that's it.

If you do send us some photos though we would be happy to check the setup for you.

@KegLand-com-au thoughts on seaming a US 16oz can with the cannular? Any mod's required?

That should be no problem. If you are using the B64 lid (which most in America are) all you have to do is adjust the table height to your particular can supplier.

If in the slightly unusual instance that your can supplier in America uses the CDLE lid then you need to just swap out the chuck to this one but this is not likely:
https://www.kegland.com.au/visy-chuck.html

I’d be happy to go for a group buy but unfortunately I-
1. Cannot afford to purchase the 1/2 pallet of cans and
2. I have nowhere to store them until such time as the other group members collect there cans
Hey mate, did you ever end up getting a group buy going for some cans, I go through a lot of cans and would be keen to jump in on a large amount..

No as I said in the original post I can’t afford the initial outlay and also don’t have the ability to store something like that
It wouldn’t be viable for a business to do it either as by the time they get a pallet (about 1.2m square and about 1.5 m tall) And store it then repack and count cans And kids into a box the price would skyrocket
I’m currently using Kegland 500ml cans as they are the best value per ml available

Busy will sell 1/2 pallet of cans which, I think, is 4000 cans
So you are looking at a pallet 1.2x1.2m by about 1.4 high
Busy will sell direct to you for that amount

Busy will sell 1/2 pallet of cans which, I think, is 4000 cans
So you are looking at a pallet 1.2x1.2m by about 1.4 high
Busy will sell direct to you for that amount
I have sent a email to Visy and waiting on a reply re purchase of a pallet. I don’t need them all but have a few friends that will take some. If interested please let me know.

I don’t think that I ever got a reply from Visy but did get one from containers limited
I’d certainly be interested in getting some of the price is right and you are not too far from me. What area are you in?

image.jpg

I’ve got a 1/2 pallet in my garage in Carrum Downs.
If you want to purchase some and don’t want the hassle of storage hit me up.

I have a for sale ad on gumtree with all the information.
Obviously can do cheaper if you pick up and bring your own boxes.

regards
Grant

Budgiecougar. I was looking at that can seamer in Ali baba. How would you rate the process, quality and usability? Thanks!

I don’t think that I ever got a reply from Visy but did get one from containers limited
I’d certainly be interested in getting some of the price is right and you are not too far from me. What area are you in?
I'm in Sandringham, am not looking to make a profit on cans just cover the purchase price for fellow brewers.

Hey guys. It might also be worth noting that if you go with the CDL / CDLE cans these are designed to have a lighter weight lid that has less overlap and therefore a bit more tricky to get a good seam. So you need to make sure your machine is really well tuned in. We originally chose the B64 cans because they were a common lid type and also are easier to seam with wider operating window for the settings.

I think it's great that you guys are helping each other out and organising bulk purchases but it's just worth taking this into consideration as the Visy cans are CDLE.

Kegland do you intend to bring out a 375ml can and at the same (Or less) cost per ml that the 500ml is?

Back