Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got most of them from my local craft beer shop, they mostly sell singles so had plenty spare.

I have contacted Visy but the smallest plain can is a half pallet of 4000 cans at about 25 c per can and lid
Smaller quantities of printed cans are available but printing set up and manufacture and packaging will cost in excess of $2000
However, if enough people make the enquires direct to Visy they may rethink supplying smaller quantities

When I got my canning machine I had to make a new die for the top of the van and was given about 200 cans with the machine
Kee very kindly gave me some 300 ml cans to try and the boys at KL also gave me a couple of 500ml cans (on a later visit) when I also explained to Kee my problem of sorting out my machine. Kee was also interested to find out if I could seal both Visy & KL cans with the same rolling dies
Can you please draw to Kee’s attention that the only thing that I need to alter for doing the different cans is the height!

I am new here, and sorry for quoting a months old post.

I may be able to give some insights into buying cans from Visy.

I strongly believe that the only way you will get a better price than the one you have been quoted is to increase the size of your order. Group buy perhaps?

It is the simple economics of it. They can't afford to sell them any cheaper at small quantities.

I know this because I have worked on the production line at their Smithfield can plant for the last 19 years.

I am not in sales or PR or anything. I am a maintenance fitter. So before anyone asks I cannot get cheap cans.

I’d be happy to go for a group buy but unfortunately I-
1. Cannot afford to purchase the 1/2 pallet of cans and
2. I have nowhere to store them until such time as the other group members collect there cans

I eventually made a screen for the canner. Works really well. Files located below if anyone want to make their own.

3D STL files & dxf file for the acrylic screen located here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkcB3oxki0kijrpJaND8rYZwv-iP6g

The two wedge pieces were designed so that the SBR12 linear rail could be easily mounted vertically but they are a little bit off. They can just be sanded a bit to get them right though.

Thanks for your inspiration on this post. As a result we have decided to also start to make a splash guard accessory too as we feel its probably a necessary accessory. To get really low DO you really want to have those can's really fun and as a result you inevitably get some splash when it starts spinning. Here is the first version but we will probably make the guard come down a bit further as the skirt is a bit short as it is right now.

We have made this to suit the current Cannular machine and it will also fit the new semi-automated machine too.

Thanks for your inspiration on this post. As a result we have decided to also start to make a splash guard accessory too as we feel its probably a necessary accessory. To get really low DO you really want to have those can's really fun and as a result you inevitably get some splash when it starts spinning. Here is the first version but we will probably make the guard come down a bit further as the skirt is a bit short as it is right now.

We have made this to suit the current Cannular machine and it will also fit the new semi-automated machine too.

Semi auto??

Semi auto??

The semi auto is something that we need as we already have a number of micro-breweries using these machines and they are doing batches of several thousand litres. The semi auto machine is very similar size but has more working components in the machine.

The Semi Auto has a few key differences including:
1. It's easier to re-configure the unit for the different can sizes
2. It's faster and has a slightly larger motor with higher RPM and this makes it also more suitable for thicker steel cans that require more torque. So it can be used for large baked bean tins etc.
3. All you need to do is place the can on the turn table and press a button and the table will lift and the can will seam automatically. This makes it really easy to operate quite fast and without any
4. The adjustments on the machine have quite large field of motion meaning you can adjust for multiple aluminium to steel cans and different heights of aluminium cans more easily without the need for different spacers to be purchased.
5. This machine is more expensive which is the only draw back. It will cost probably about $750 or something like that. So I think home brewers who just want to seam home brew aluminium cans would go for the standard Cannular manual machine.

We will also start stocking the steel baked bean style tins in the near future too.

The semi auto is something that we need as we already have a number of micro-breweries using these machines and they are doing batches of several thousand litres. The semi auto machine is very similar size but has more working components in the machine.

The Semi Auto has a few key differences including:
1. It's easier to re-configure the unit for the different can sizes
2. It's faster and has a slightly larger motor with higher RPM and this makes it also more suitable for thicker steel cans that require more torque. So it can be used for large baked bean tins etc.
3. All you need to do is place the can on the turn table and press a button and the table will lift and the can will seam automatically. This makes it really easy to operate quite fast and without any
4. The adjustments on the machine have quite large field of motion meaning you can adjust for multiple aluminium to steel cans and different heights of aluminium cans more easily without the need for different spacers to be purchased.
5. This machine is more expensive which is the only draw back. It will cost probably about $750 or something like that. So I think home brewers who just want to seam home brew aluminium cans would go for the standard Cannular manual machine.

We will also start stocking the steel baked bean style tins in the near future too.
Any video of it in action?

I could see this being good for food stuff in the steel cans you mentioned.

So how do I sneak this one past the missus? You can buy an awful lot of canned food for $750. Thinking, thinking.

Nice, that's a very smart design which can be easily retrofitted. Well played!

I haven't read this thread in depth and i apologise in advance. I have one of these Cannular's machines and i am finding that when i can a batch of 30 X 500ml cans, i am having around 8-10 with leaking seals. At a percentage of 1/3 of the number of cans leaking, i am rather frustrated.
I have done all the appropriate adjustments (these took about 2 hours as it was pretty finicky) and the rollers are the correct distances but i am still getting way to many leaks.
Has anyone else had this issue and if yes, what was the solution you found worked. If any at all.

I had this issue when I first received it. However, a proper calibration corrected my leaks. In fact, I haven't experienced a single leak since(knocks on wood) over cases and cases of canned beer. Did you calibrate using their instruction using the proper measurements and spacing? If so, I'd reach out to them directly and see if they can help. They were very quick in responding to me.

I haven't read this thread in depth and i apologise in advance. I have one of these Cannular's machines and i am finding that when i can a batch of 30 X 500ml cans, i am having around 8-10 with leaking seals. At a percentage of 1/3 of the number of cans leaking, i am rather frustrated.
I have done all the appropriate adjustments (these took about 2 hours as it was pretty finicky) and the rollers are the correct distances but i am still getting way to many leaks.
Has anyone else had this issue and if yes, what was the solution you found worked. If any at all.
For the cans that are leaking reseal them. That may stop the leak
I had a similar problem with my machine (different brand of machine) i raised the can by 2mm (which I don’t think that you can do with the cannula) and I tightened the second roller by lowering it slightly and winding it in a little
When I set up my canner I used lots of cans (filled with water) to get it to a workable setting

Can you please send us some high resolution photos. We generally can measure off the photo and work out how far out you are. If you have a macro function on your camera that's even better. If your X and Y adjustment is tuned in then it could be the table that is out of place. We are gong to make a new laser tool that you can use to adjust the table with the chuck. This makes this step really easy but this tool is still getting finished.

When the machine is tuned in you should be getting every single can seal perfectly. The machine is not setup correctly if you have that many leaks. It's a fairly foolproof process once the machine is setup.

Also wanted to say thanks for the recommendations you guys had for the Cannular Spash Guard. We have made this out of requests and tips from you guys. So you can see what this looks like here:

Cannular Manual Machine Splash Guard
Cannular Semi-Auto Machine Splash Guard

Would be need to get some feedback from you guys when the stock of these arrive too:

Do you guys want us to make any other accessories in particular?

@KegLand-com-au it seems these cans are dried up here I the US. All distributors aren't sure when they'll be getting cans again. Can you shed some light on the issue and when we can expect more? Prices are starting to rise with ebay vendors!

And is the cannular able to seal US 16oz cans without any adjustments?

Suppose that's what happens when you make america great again and get into a trade war with China! Sorry - couldn't help myself.
I'd imagine Covid is causing nightmares with distribution.

Back