Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be interested to see some long-term feedback as well. I'm not brewing much at the moment (due to heavy work/study/family commitments), however I'll be back on the wagon soon enough. I'd certainly consider something like this down the track, as I often take my beers places (picnics/friends places/camping) and am currently just filling growlers (which works fine, but they are pretty bulky and expensive if you break them/leave them behind).

Being able to fill 10 cans from each of my 4 kegs (when full) would be a great way to transport my beer around the place.

@DazGore
Did you chill the cans before filling? I know that chilling bottles/growlers is important when filling from kegs, but wondering if it is necessary with cans?

I'll be interested to see some long-term feedback as well. I'm not brewing much at the moment (due to heavy work/study/family commitments), however I'll be back on the wagon soon enough. I'd certainly consider something like this down the track, as I often take my beers places (picnics/friends places/camping) and am currently just filling growlers (which works fine, but they are pretty bulky and expensive if you break them/leave them behind).

Being able to fill 10 cans from each of my 4 kegs (when full) would be a great way to transport my beer around the place.

@DazGore
Did you chill the cans before filling? I know that chilling bottles/growlers is important when filling from kegs, but wondering if it is necessary with cans?
No I did not chill. I did fill with beer gun and 6m of 4mm id line, so absolutely no foam issues.

For those interested about cans I have approached Orora (Cospak) about purchasing cans there prices are

• CLASSIC 375ml SILVER CAN - $155.00 plus GST /1,000 units
    • Orora freight recovery - $2.00 plus GST /1,000 units
      • Pallet charges - 17511 – Top frame - $50.00 plus GST /Pallet
        • – 17512 – Dividers - $25.00 plus GST /Pallet
        • – 17513 – Pallet - $100.00 plus GST /Pallet
        • Pallet charges are all refunded upon return
  • END 200 - $31.75 plus GST /1,000 units
    • Orora freight recovery - $0.80 plus GST /1,000 units
  • END 202 $34.55 plus GST /1,000 units
    • Orora freight recovery - $0.80 plus GST /1,000 units
Problem they only sell these in pallets of 4000 units. They did say that if they had enough enquires about smaller numbers (for us home canners) that smaller quantities may be possible
Alternatively maybe if a few or us got together and pooled resources and if someone had storage space maybe we could purchase a pallet load and divide it up (naturally with something going to the person who collects, stores and returns the pallet
Thoughts? ( I don’t have the resources to store that amount)

I might be keen on a bulk buy for cans as long as they are compatible with the kegland canner. 18 cents a can with lid is a good deal.

If there are 4 of us per pallet that = 41-42 x 24 can slabs which still makes it bit of a burden to store
I’m open to any suggestions
I’m pretty sure that the 375 ml cans can still be done in the cannular machine,but shall try to find out from kegland

If there are 4 of us per pallet that = 41-42 x 24 can slabs which still makes it bit of a burden to store
I’m pretty sure that the 375 ml cans can still be done in the cannular machine,but shall try to find out from kegland

I’m hoping to get one soon so may be interested but can’t commit yet.

I think I might just buy some from the guy on gumtree who is local to me. 40c a 375ml can from memory.
@KegLand-com-au whats the eta on the spacers for different sized cans? I was thinking about getting one machined like the attachment. Do you see any issues with this design? Are there any special fits or tolerances I have not accounted for?

Attachments

• Canning Spacer.PDF
    29 KB · Views: 112
No I did not chill. I did fill with beer gun and 6m of 4mm id line, so absolutely no foam issues.

Yes we do not chill either. The thermal mass of the can is so small it doesn't make much difference.

Yes we will have a new part that will make this possible very soon. We have just been doing some testing in the last week. We have heard of some customers making a spacer for the 330ml cans and 375ml cans and this is quite easy to do if you have access to a lathe or 3D printer. With that said I think the spacer that we sell will not be expensive and should be available in about 1-2 months.

We also have some smaller can's coming into stock soon too.

I think I might just buy some from the guy on gumtree who is local to me. 40c a 375ml can from memory.
@KegLand-com-au whats the eta on the spacers for different sized cans? I was thinking about getting one machined like the attachment. Do you see any issues with this design? Are there any special fits or tolerances I have not accounted for?

That design looks good to me. That should work perfectly fine. Our spacer is still a couple of months away so if you can make your own in the meantime that's probably a good idea.

The only thing is the spacer has to be made with fairly good tolerance. If you have any rattle or play in the spacer the can may not come up perfectly concentric with the chuck and roller die.

Am very keen on spitting pallet will get cannular machine in the next couple of weeks.

It would be great to ba able to get a pallet and split it if someone lived close enough to the supplier to be able to store one and be available to split it
My original thought was that if cospack had enough interest in smaller lots (say 1000 units at a time) they would seriously consider making the cans available at the smaller amount. (Don’t forget that a smaller amount would be a little dearer because of packaging and handling for that amount)
But if enough people were to contact cospack and make the enquire then things may just happen.....

Got one arriving tomorrow, happy to provide feedback. Apparently some guys can get <40ppb TPO which is amazing.

Keen to split some cans with anyone QLD based (bulk order).

Latest posts

Back