Alewife's and Witches.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting indeed. So but for the snazzy hat, I could be tried for witchcraft the next time the church whips up a good old fashioned Inquisition?

I'm a pretty keen reader of brewing history. Some of what's there is interesting, but it misses the point that the "Church" was actively repressing women in a fairly systematic way from around AD 1000 on.
It really was a dark age, all forms of learning outside the control of the church was actively supresses, hence the denigeration of what were in fact just precursors to the modern dictionary the "grimoire" or book of gramma or "spells" literally how to spell words.
Brewing was one of the few opportunities for women to earn an income not dependant husband or church, for those with skill sometimes a good one.
Ok I'm not a big fan of organised religion - you should see some of my T-shirts, This is a good place to shop.
Mark

The inquisition sucked, but the so called 'dark ages' is more a meme. In reality, it was no worse or barbaric than any other epoch without penicillin or high speed internet.
Women in many parts of north Africa and western Asia have it far worse in 2017 than middle ages Europe. Imagine a woman poking her broomstick out a shopfront in Riyadh. I shudder to think.

Snip
Women in many parts of north Africa and western Asia have it far worse in 2017 than middle ages Europe. Imagine a woman poking her broomstick out a shopfront in Riyadh. I shudder to think.
Especially if she was promoting the sale of alcohol...
M

Back