Ales For Summer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironxmortlock

Reaction score
As the topic states, I'm wondering if anyone has made any ales that go down really well during summer? Since I got my temperature controller a few months ago I've been churning out lagers and it's time for a little change. I'd like something that's very refreshing and easy to knock back. Any ideas?

Thanks,

M

:beer:

As the topic states, I'm wondering if anyone has made any ales that go down really well during summer? Since I got my temperature controller a few months ago I've been churning out lagers and it's time for a little change. I'd like something that's very refreshing and easy to knock back. Any ideas?

Thanks,

M

american pale ales go down great in summer.

or you could do just a basic lawnmower kinda quaffer. por for bittering, some dried malt extract, dextrose to keep a light body and then chuck in some saaz or hallertau right at the end and there you have it.

that said im making up an esb tomorrow im planning on having as a summer drinker so see how that goes.

ok so this is a lager but it a great summer beer. Im really having trouble not solely drinking this as I mostly have autum/winter beers and this is so easy to drink. The glacier hops are very subtle so dont be put off using so much.

1 Cerveza can,
350g Dex,
250g LDME,
100g Carapils or wheat extract
5g Glacier hops @20,
10g Glacier hops @15,
10g Glacier @10,
20g Glacier @ flameout,
22L
2 x saflager @ 12C for 3 weeks, then chill as cold as I can for another 2.
~4.2% before bottling. OG 1.038, FG 1.008

Or BConnery's receipes - I was going to put these down on thw eekend but it was too hot in melb to be standing over a stove.

Summer Wheat
Morgans Whispering Wheat
40g Coriander in stocking bag.
2 or 3 limes and or lemons - rind & juice.
Kaffir lime leaves.
200g honey.
1kg wheat beer blend from HBS
Rind in boil at 15. Honey and juice and 20g coriander and kaffir lime leaves in at 10. Sieve into fermenter. Add kit and sugar and cold water as usual. 20g Coriander added in stocking bag to fermenter.

St Clemens
Brewmaster Belgian Ale
Wheat brew blend (500g dextrose 500g wheat)
juice & rind of 4 oranges & 1 lemon,
75g coriander in stocking bag.
halleratau and Hersbrucker finishing hops
kit, juice, rind and brew blend @ 15. 20g Coriander @10. Strain into fermenter, add water and yeast then 55g stocking bag of coriander seeds and finishing hops.

Actually BConnery has a mass of summer ale recipes like Strawbeery Wheat, Sour Orange Ale etc.

or you've got LCPA style clones like
Morgans Stockmans Draught
1.5 kg of Morgans Extra Pale Malt Extract (Liquid)
250g of light crystal
12g of Chinook pellets & on heat for 15 Minutes with Malt and can of Draught.
US56 Yeast.
30g of Cascade Pellets (dry hopped at rack).

Or use amarillo all the way 20g @15, 5 and dry hop

Or my Kenzie Hop Ale - which sadly I have only 1 bottle left of.
Kenzie Hop Ale
1.7 kg tin draught
500 g light dried malt
400 g dextrose (sub 150g dex for LDME)
250 g maltodextrin - (sub this for more malt)

20 g cluster hops @ 10 mins
10g cascade hops @10min
15 g cluster hops @ 1 min
10g cascade hops @1min

specialty grains
250 g crystal
150 g carapils
bought up to 80C from cold water, then both steeped roughly 80/c for 1/2 hour then boiled for 10 mins before adding LDM and hops
US-56 or safale-04
brew at 16-20C
OG 1.046, FG 1.014, 4.9%

You could easily sub the hops for others youve got in stock such as amarillo and columbus or Cluster and EKG; Pearle & Hallertauer, etc etc

Thanks,

M

Last summer I made this and called it Cascade Ale:

1 can of your favorite Pale Ale kit ( I use Coopers APA )
750g of Brew Enhancer 2
750g of Light Dry malt
50g of Cascade Hops
( apply your own boil proram, but say 25 g @ 45 min, 15g @ 20 min, 10g at 5 min )

I suppose this is an American Pale Ale, but without any heavy dry hopping.

Brew at 19 deg C, means you still need your fridge in the summer, unless you live in Southern Tasmania.

I made this as a lawn mower ale and many bottles didn't make it out of the garage,
I'd park the mower, grab a longbneock from the fridge, and down it on the spot!
It was very refreshing and too easy to knock back!
A few made it through the winter and I tasted the last one on it's birthday,
12 months in the bottle turned this into a superb drop, and so easy to make,
no liquid malts, no grains, just kit, kilo and hops.
I used the 250g of BE2 left from the pack for the priming.
The 250g of dry malt left over got popped into the next brew.

I didn't boil the kit, just the dry malt, the BE2 went into the fermenter with the kit as a usual K&K.

My next brew will be a version of this with malt instead of the BE2.

This was an experiment inspired by something that Monteiths have done for th esummer

I have tasted 2 botttles at a month old and its great.

It is very thirst quenching, at this stage its a very pleasing cross between a beer and a ginger beer (sounds odd but tastes very good)

Coopers Heritage Lager
Saaz 5 grams boiled for 5 minutes
1.5 litres light coopers liquid malt
US 56 yeast

Following boiled for 10 minutes
20 grms crushed Coriander
3 teaspoons grated ginger
500 gms beechworth honey

This was an experiment inspired by something that Monteiths have done for th esummer

I have tasted 2 botttles at a month old and its great.

It is very thirst quenching, at this stage its a very pleasing cross between a beer and a ginger beer (sounds odd but tastes very good)

Coopers Heritage Lager
Saaz 5 grams boiled for 5 minutes
1.5 litres light coopers liquid malt
US 56 yeast

Following boiled for 10 minutes
20 grms crushed Coriander
3 teaspoons grated ginger
500 gms beechworth honey

I'd like to try this recipe. I just want to check I have your method right. So you did two boils, one with hops and malt and one with honey, coriander and ginger? I assume you just poured them both into fermenter?? Final volume?

i enjoyed one using rice malt from an asian grocery :

1 x coopers draught kit
2 x 500g rice malt ($1.45 each!)
20g pride of ringwood hops @ 10 mins
nottingham yeast
@ 21 litres

it took 2 months for the hops to settle in, then it worked a treat on a hot afternoon on the back porch.

Latest posts

Back