Ale Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_h

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After some recipe advice again.

Im thinking of doing something along the lines of,

Ale with Wyeast London ESB

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.600
Total Hops (g): 60.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 7.8 (EBC): 15.4
Bitterness (IBU): 44.0 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 67
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (89.29%)
0.300 kg Biscuit (5.36%)
0.300 kg Crystal 10 (5.36%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Challenger Pellet (8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Challenger Pellet (8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.8% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20C with Wyeast 1968 - London ESB Ale

I also have,
Hops, Fuggles, Styrian Goldings, Centennial,
Grain, Caramunich, Pilsner, Wheat

I would also dry hop some EKG or Fuggles in the secondary.

Im aiming for a typical IPA perhaps with a bit of a gentle fruit taste.

Thanks in advance

Just check what your attenuation is set to. That looks like its set to 75% and from memory 1968 ESB usually gets high 60s at best.

Haha yes, i have a 1968 galaxy pale ale sitting at around 1.018 at present. I've been rousing it the whole way through. It can be lazy, although i have had it go to 1.010 plenty of times.

Same as mje I've got 80% attenuation out of 1968 before, but it was mashed pretty low.

Thanks guys,

I had heard that the yeast liked to stop around 1020, so I will be prepared to give it a good stir, Ive used it once before and it stopped high, only time I had a bottle bomb (I put them on the shower floor as I was thinking they might pop).

No danger in leaving it at 1020 (asssuming it stops there) for a couple of days then stiring it as im going away for a couple of days?

Probably wouldnt hurt raising the temp for a few degrees for a few day to makes sure its finished off without stirring?

Haven't used 1968 but would probably be one solution...

Sponge

Thanks guys,

I had heard that the yeast liked to stop around 1020, so I will be prepared to give it a good stir, Ive used it once before and it stopped high, only time I had a bottle bomb (I put them on the shower floor as I was thinking they might pop).

No danger in leaving it at 1020 (asssuming it stops there) for a couple of days then stiring it as im going away for a couple of days?

I usually just "swirl" the fermentor with the lid on. Works most of the time. I also bring it up to 24 or so for a few days, like sponge mentions. Even with a high temp mash, i dont seem to have much trouble with standard strength ales getting to 1.010 or close to it.

I've just upped the temp on mine to finish off the last few points.

Yep, will try increasing the temp to 22-24C without opening the lid, then if that doesnt make a difference start the stiring!

Thanks

I have had pretty high attenuation from WY1968, up to about 80%, but it's a strange beast.

Just when you think it's done its thing, it continues to very slowly crawl along and knock off a few more points at the end. If you bottle, don't be in a hurry.

Your recipe looks nice, but your hops stop at 20 minutes. Have you maybe thought about some flameout or dry hopping additions?

I have had pretty high attenuation from WY1968, up to about 80%, but it's a strange beast.

Just when you think it's done its thing, it continues to very slowly crawl along and knock off a few more points at the end. If you bottle, don't be in a hurry.

Your recipe looks nice, but your hops stop at 20 minutes. Have you maybe thought about some flameout or dry hopping additions?

Warra,

I decided not to add any hops after 20mins as I was no chilling and was planning on boiling up some wort and adding them just before fermentation, unfortunately I ran out of time and did not do that.

After 3 days its dropped to 1012 which im quite happy with and its still bubbling away, ive raised the temp to around 22 C.

Im planning on dry hopping 1g/litre of Styrian Goldings tonight and will bottle in around 4 days as im going away for a couple of weeks (assuming its finished, if not then I will take the hops out)

Sounds like a plan, dave h.

I personally bottle at the very low end of carbonation with this yeast.
I've found it even continues to work very very slowly in the bottle over a period of months.
Neither I nor you need bottle bombs.

Enjoy your time away.

Back