Ale Malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkin

Rarely Serious
Reaction score
I have been using local Pale Ale and Pilsener malts for my brews since starting all grain last year. I brew American ales in golden, pale and amber and an occasional darker beer as well.

I use dry yeasts with my favourite being US-05.

I'm quite happy with what i've been brewing but want to try a couple of imported base malts to compare the difference. I have 4 bags spare in the Qld bulk buy and a choice of malts from this range...

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=869

I'd like to get some advice on the differences between theimported malts and the ones i've been using (mostly all Joe White's) and some info on whether i'm better off with the floor malted varieties or not.

I see there is two types of Marris Otter, 1 fm and the other not. What is the difference and why would i choose onne over the other?

I see that there are two other malts there that i think are considered base malts, halcyon and golden promise. What is the difference between these and why would i choose one over the other?

All help appreciatted.

Pearl, Maris Otter, Golden Promise and Halcyon are all UK barley seed varieties which are grown at different times of year. Research their flavour descriptions, there is tons of info out there. For shits and giggles, here is a list of Aus grown ones which may make it into your JW malts. On a tour of Barret Burston as part of the ECU short course, we got to hear their manager absolutely berate Vlamingh as a malting crop.

If I had a cheap source of Pearl, I would use lots of it, reliable and tasty stock base malt.

I brewed using some TF MO today and I think I will use Bairds next time if I have the choice, there always seems to be a large percentage of over-modified (long shoots) kernels in the TF. I think they have the traditional high labour romance factor, but I have never had a complaint about Bairds, so they are in front in my books.

I would grab a Perle, Weyermann Ale, Bairds MO (or TF), and either Halcyon or GP depending which description you prefer. If you have a house beer, you could replicate it with the only change being the base malt and post back your opinions on flavour differences.

I have been using local Pale Ale and Pilsener malts for my brews since starting all grain last year. I brew American ales in golden, pale and amber and an occasional darker beer as well.

I use dry yeasts with my favourite being US-05.

I'm quite happy with what i've been brewing but want to try a couple of imported base malts to compare the difference. I have 4 bags spare in the Qld bulk buy and a choice of malts from this range...

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=869

I'd like to get some advice on the differences between theimported malts and the ones i've been using (mostly all Joe White's) and some info on whether i'm better off with the floor malted varieties or not.

I see there is two types of Marris Otter, 1 fm and the other not. What is the difference and why would i choose onne over the other?

I see that there are two other malts there that i think are considered base malts, halcyon and golden promise. What is the difference between these and why would i choose one over the other?

All help appreciatted.

Just about any of them would be great really. For mostly american ales, i think Halcyon would be a good choice, it makes really good blonde style ales IMHO. I also use a german pils malt ( best pilz ) for my American ales, especially IIPA's. I want clean light malt in them personally, so i leave the UK malts for UK ales. Maris Otter is great for UK ales, and i've used shitloads of it hehe.

Honestly you can't really go wrong with any of them.

I grabbed a sack of Floor malted Maris Otter, and couldn't pick up too much difference, though i usually make dark milds, so it may have masked some of the flavour. Still, very nice beers with it.

I find JW trad ale great for american ales. marris otter has quite a distinct nutty flavour that is quite noticeable. If you want something quite different that's you're best bet. Some breweries use marris otter in their APA's and it's instantly recogniseable in their beers compared to the aussie ale malts that are more commonly used. It has quite a strong flavour.

Haven't used the others but have been meaning to try golden promise.

Back