Ale Like Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonydav

Reaction score
I'm looking for a lager yeast that produces ale type beer. Essentially an ale yeast that will brew down to 10 degrees for the winter months. Reasons: I'm not really a lager fan and it's bloody cold at Richmond brewing outside now.

Any suggestions?

tony

Tonydav, recently I've using Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale and have been running my chest freezer between 10C and 12C. The fermentation generates it's own heat and my ferments have been very lively. Though when the ferment mellos I turn the freezer up a few degrees to counter the downturn in heat generation from the ferment.

nonicman said:
Tonydav, recently I've using Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale and have been running my chest freezer between 10C and 12C. The fermentation generates it's own heat and my ferments have been very lively. Though when the ferment mellos I turn the freezer up a few degrees to counter the downturn in heat generation from the ferment.
[post="60588"][/post]​

I have to agree, my 1728 starters continue to ferment, albeit slowly, in my beer fridge at 4c....

Thanks guys, that sounds like the go. Any suggestions on where to pick it up in Sydney? My local HBS doesn't stock liquid yeasts.

tony

1007 is similar,or use a lager yeast and ferment warm, i.e. over 16C

Jovial Monk

Hey Tonydav,

The Country Brewer in Richmond has White Labs liquid yeasts.
They might only have a couple in stock but i had one ordered in for me at the beginning of the year and it turned up in about a week or so.

(I have no affiliation with TCB etc etc)

They've got them in for me in Richmond but I was hoping to pickup one today. I'm in the city and have a bit of time so thought I might be able to drive via somewhere that has them.

What about TCB at Toongabbie? Do they carry stock do you know??

What about TCB at Toongabbie? Do they carry stock do you know??

I'm not sure if they have stock but I believe the Girraween warehouse which you are referring to is where all the stock comes in which is then distributed to the retail shops (i think)

Here are the details:

Girraween
1/148 Toongabbie Rd, NSW, 2147
Ph: (02) 9896-1366

I'm sure if you call them they'll be able to let you know about stock pretty quickly.

Hope this helps

In terms of location and probability of liquid yeast

Gerard M. www.ndbrewing.com.au centred about ie north ryde, marsfield (but he also delivers, so it depends upon him)

or www.daveshomebrew.com.au which is located in north sydney.

www.esbeer.com.au

All stock whitelabs. From memory of what a manager said on their forum with Countrybrewer they don't normally stock it, you have to order it.

So take your pick

Will

PS usual stuff, no affiliation blah blah blah.

Dropped into TCB at Girraween this arve. They had a few liquid yeasts in stock and only Whitelabs. They can get any Whitelabs but don't normally get Wyeast.

Which raises the problem that the yeast I really liked the sound of (1728) is Wyeast and Whitelabs don't have any Ale yeasts that will ferment below about 18 degrees.

I'm not really after a lager yeast as such as ideally the temperature range will still be mostly up around 18 or so, but maybe that would be the better way to go. Any recommendations (pref Whitelabs)?

At the moment I just bought a tin of Wals Dry Lager with a lager yeast to try and make a Corona clone for the light beer drinking friends. In passing I did like the look of the Wals 1.7kg kit with the hops in the mix. I've only seen these in 3kg kits before.

tony

Hi Tonydav,

I had to mail order my Wyeast 1728. The posties advised that the mail is stored at 18C when not in transit (so they told me). The packet took around 5 days to come alive after smacking, but I put that down to being sent an expired packet :ph34r: . However it has come good, very good :).

It does seem to be either or with Whitelabs and Wyeast. Here in Queensland there are no Whitelabs only Wyeast. (hoping that someone pipes up different :) ).

don't WhiteLabs have an Edinborough yeast/ is that not Scottish?

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:

Jovial Monk
[post="60714"][/post]​

Nar that does not sound Scottish JM :lol: :lol: , still may pay to check with wee stu

Batz

Styles for Edinburgh Ale (WLP028) yeast strain
Scotland is famous for its malty, strong ales. This yeast can reproduce complex, flavorful Scottish style ales. This yeast can be an everyday strain, similar to WLP001. Hop character is not muted with this strain, as it is with WLP002.
Attenuation: 70-75 ; Flocculation: Medium; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 65-70
http://www.whitelabs.com/ratings.asp?id=WLP028

1728 Scottish Ale Yeast. Ideally suited for Scottish-style ales, and high-gravity ales of all types. Can be estery with warm fermentation temperatures. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 69-73%. (55-75 F, 13-24 C)
http://www.wyeastlab.com/beprlist.htm#ale

Couldn't see anything that is recommended for below 65F (18.3C) on the Whitelabs site, but I'm sure someone has pushed the bounds with temperture and a Whitelabs yeast.

Hmmm so clearly not the same yeast
I had always thought they were one and the same

JM

nonicman said:
Couldn't see anything that is recommended for below 65F (18.3C) on the Whitelabs site, but I'm sure someone has pushed the bounds with temperture and a Whitelabs yeast.

That what was I'd found looking at the Whitelabs site. And I was also wondering if anyone had tried the Edinborough yeast at lower temperatures.

Got a stubbie of the 1728 if you want??

Good Day
Noticed yesterday that ESB had a special series WLP036 alt yeast that brews at 10-12oC (under "Whats New"). I am going to try it. Hope that helps.

Wyeast 2112 California Lager has a fair temp spread as well.

Will go as low (albeit slowly) as 10c and as high as 15-16c with no real problems.

Finishes clean and malty too.

Warren -

Batz said:
Jovial_Monk said:

Jovial Monk
[post="60714"][/post]​

Nar that does not sound Scottish JM , still may pay to check with wee stu

Batz
[post="60718"][/post]​

Nah Batz, disnae sound right tae me :p !
There is an Edinborough park in Minnesota, mind you :eek: .
Gets pretty cold in Minnesota, so I suppose their yeast would have to be pretty resilient.

awrabest
stu - born and raised in Edinburgh, Scotland - land of the unhappy hours :ph34r:

Back