• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi specials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on topic kittens.

Bribie, this thread hasn’t been on topic since shortly after it was started. It evolved from Bar Keepers Friend to Aldi Specials. Can’t it now progress to include rusty microwave ovens from Big W.:(

Remember there's more than one way to skin a cat but the neighbors are probably going to pay you a visit.

Anyone used the garden pump off a rainwater tank for pumping through a chiller and watering the garden?
IMG_7441.jpg
IMG_7443.jpg
IMG_7442.jpg

mate that pump might be a little over powered! :)

I use the Aquapro 1050 pump from bunnings which is 18W (upgraded from the 550 model which is 10.5w) - they run my water through the IC fine.

I drop in the bottom of my bucket of ice water to take the last 10-15c off the wort after the hose water has taken most of the sting out

So yeah I think an 1,100W pump is overkill.

Cheers for the reply. I'd like to return the water post-chiller to my roof and let it cool down and drain back into the rainwater tank, so it's probably about 40-60 metres of length it will need to go.

Also would like to use it for a water hose to water my garden, so guessing I'll need the ALDI one for the additional pressure?

Cheers for the reply. I'd like to return the water post-chiller to my roof and let it cool down and drain back into the rainwater tank, so it's probably about 40-60 metres of length it will need to go.

Also would like to use it for a water hose to water my garden, so guessing I'll need the ALDI one for the additional pressure?
Have a pump on the water tank and if connect a long garden hose slows down the flow so would need to look at restriction of the plumbing and water flow.

I notice the temp max. Is your post-chiller water less than 35C?

Will put pump at the rainwater tank so this will feed a 3/4" pipe down to a 3/4" garden tap about 15 metres and from there will use normal garden hose to connect up to my chiller (about another 5-10 metres) which I then either plan to try and return all the way up to my roof (might not be possible) or just discard the water cos it's free rainwater anyway. So in terms of temperature the outlet from the chiller will be hot but I plan that to just be hose of some sort (that can take hot water) or silicon tubing if I'm just dumping it nearby down the drain.

Saw some Youtube vids of it in action it has some grunt, so for $99 and 3 year warranty going to give it a crack.

My alternative is I have a small Grundfos rainwater pump (never have run it) without a controller and the controller is $150, so given the Aldi has it all in one it's a simpler option for now.

You could split the water flow and pump some directly back into the water tank to regulate.

They do rip, fair output, I have one and tried to pump bore water with it. Just clogged the filter so have shelved it. Will get back to that one day.
Good pump in my option.

I have the same Aldi pump, bought 2 years ago, connected to my 2000 lt rainwater tank. Yes, it has a LOT of grunt.

I have mine pump straight back into the top of the tank after going through the immersion chiller. I wouldn't worry too much about pumping it onto your roof to "cool", as the heat (energy) capacity of ~23 litres of wort at 100 deg C would only raise the total temperature of 2000 lt in your tank by about 1 deg (in an ideal mixing scenario, not counting ambient losses, etc)

I do pump the initial 20 lt or so of the return water into a big bucket, before putting the hose into the top of my tank. This gives me 80-85 deg hot water for cleaning.

Flensburger Pils and Weizen back on sale from Wednesday.

I quite enjoy the Pils. Will have to grab the Weizen this time too.

Finally, ALDI got his liquor license for WA :)

Who is brewing the Strom beers for them?

I enjoy Asian beers so I got myself today a box of LEO, Tsingtao and a six pack of Tiger and Asahi

Cheers

Stefan

Back