• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi specials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupid Queensland nanny state, no booze in Aldi. Grumble grumble

I hope to get my hands on the Marston Pedigree as it's bottle conditioned. My stir plate will be getting a workout.

wide eyed and legless said:
Anyone bought the Jameson aged in stout barrels?
I picked some up duty free back in january. It wasn't anything special.

Had a bottle of hobgoblin ruby last night. Are people tasting oxidation? Wasn't very good.

Fookers sold out by tonight when I tried two stores Hobgoblin gawn [emoji24] makes me feel better if it's a bad batch sorry hehe. Hopefully it's just the one bottle mate

Mine was seemingly not oxidised, but it was a bit malty and sweet for me. I still thought it preferable to the "gold" version, which was a bit of a trainer wheels beer but far better then the Ringwood, which I poured down the sink.

The Marston was to me probably the pick of the four bottled beers, that being said I didn't bother going back to buy more of any of them.

Last edited:
Im not sure what bottle the Marston was conditioned in but there was close to zero sediment in the bottom of mine. Its pretty bland so far.

I have given up on buying my favourite UK ales abroad, they just don’t travel well and inevitably taste subpar. That’s why IPA was produced. I saw them in Aldi on Wednesday and didn’t bother buying any.

Just a heads up on Aldi "Active Energy" ready to use rechargeable batteries. They are significantly a "not as advertised item". If you are after batteries that perform as advertised, give these ones a miss, because you are not getting what you paid for.

Packaging claims that these are low self-discharge batteries, ready to use and with a 2500mAh capacity. I've put three sets of these batteries through an analyser and every single one of the 12 batteries failed to come even close to the advertised performance. The batteries come pre-charged with somewhere between 670mAh and 1200mAh and the maximum charge they will hold as per the IEC/JIS standards is between 2000mAh and 2200mAh, well short of the advertised 2500mAh.

Compare this to Panasonic Eneloops, which claim a capacity of up to 2000mAh with 1900mAh minimum (actual figures range from 1940mAh to 2100mAh) and come pre-charged with around 1400mAh to 1500mAh.

I have given up on buying my favourite UK ales abroad, they just don’t travel well and inevitably taste subpar. That’s why IPA was produced. I saw them in Aldi on Wednesday and didn’t bother buying any.
This was the very reason I got into all grain brewing. A trip to the UK made me very keen to see if I could source some of the great beers I had on holiday back home. When I found a localish bottle shop I was stoked only to be very dissapointed when I started pouring pints of ale that travelled around the world

This was the very reason I got into all grain brewing. A trip to the UK made me very keen to see if I could source some of the great beers I had on holiday back home. When I found a localish bottle shop I was stoked only to be very dissapointed when I started pouring pints of ale that travelled around the world
It’s one of the main reasons I got back into all grain brewing shortly after I arrived here.

Anyone used the induction hot plate? Was thinking of getting one for wort caramelising.

Also is this the same pressure cooker people use for sterilising their test tubes for yeast?

Back