• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi Randal Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That big o-ring in the filter is easily mangled (took a few minutes to choose that word). Might be worth checking if urs is sucking air. Also, the relief screw at the top, check around there too.
Also, I used tape on all connections. Might help :)

I've pulled it apart a little while back as I was swapping it to a different keg. The seal looked ok. I have now done up all the fittings super tight, thought I was going to break something. I've got heaps of thread tape on everything, so far so good. Thinking now I should have put some seal lube on the seals to help prevent it bunching up when locking it up.

QldKev

Picked one of these up from the Albury aldi for $14 today. Have also seen them at bunnings for $20. Will be using mine for its intended purpose though!! Pre chiller water filter from pool pump!
Will grab another one next year for a randal hop crop should be a better one next year!

It's something you put in-line between your keg and tap and fill with hops. As the beer pushes through, it takes some fresh hop flavour and aroma with it. You'd want there to be some filter in there to block the hops themselves from clogging the beer line, hence these small coarse mesh filters' popularity.

It's something you put in-line between your keg and tap and fill with hops. As the beer pushes through, it takes some fresh hop flavour and aroma with it. You'd want there to be some filter in there to block the hops themselves from clogging the beer line, hence these small coarse mesh filters' popularity.

Ahhh, sounds good, something else for me to think about!
Cheers

may_25_2012_011.JPG
yey :rolleyes:
i finally got my 'aldi randal' all set up this arvo! only temp. set up at this stage but all seems airtight.
running an ale over some cascade flowers so far so good , verry yummy.

View attachment 54770
yey :rolleyes:
i finally got my 'aldi randal' all set up this arvo! only temp. set up at this stage but all seems airtight.
running an ale over some cascade flowers so far so good , verry yummy.

I'm I'm the process of setting up my Randall. Did you leave the filter in or did you filter with something else? Is it necessary to have a filter at all?

i took the filter and white rubber ring out as it smelt bad, i think you do need something to filter to stop hop particles blocking your beer line and tap. i am not bothered about a few small bits of hop getting into my glass, actually quite like it but i wouldnt want the line or tap constantly blocking up either.
i am on the look out for some stainless pipe to use as a stem with holes or slits at the bottom to get the beer drawing/flowing past as much hop as possible but at the moment i just used some stainless braided line as a filter to block the hops and it works well for me :icon_cheers:

northside novice said:
i took the filter and white rubber ring out as it smelt bad, i think you do need something to filter to stop hop particles blocking your beer line and tap. i am not bothered about a few small bits of hop getting into my glass, actually quite like it but i wouldnt want the line or tap constantly blocking up either.
i am on the look out for some stainless pipe to use as a stem with holes or slits at the bottom to get the beer drawing/flowing past as much hop as possible but at the moment i just used some stainless braided line as a filter to block the hops and it works well for me :icon_cheers:
Digging up an old thread here. I'm looking to put one of these together. What have most people used as the filter on this unit, i.e. did they remove the filter that comes with it as northside novice did and replace with something else?

I'm also thinking of ways to make it flexible.
Say I'm half way through a keg and decide I want to disconnect the randall or to restuff with more hops. I'm sure I'm overcomplicating somehow but do I:
  1. remove the beer disconnect from the keg itself so it's not continually under pressure,
  2. open the tap to release as much pressure as possible from the randall
  3. pull the beer line out from the JG fitting at the out side of the randall (do you get beer going everywhere at this stage or does the JG fitting or randall unit seal to stop the beer flowing out)
  4. Move your liquid disconnect from the beer line going into the randall to the line that goes straight to your tap (which is now free since you just unplugged it from the randall 'out' side)
  5. Put the disconnect back on to the keg (you now go straight to the keg and the randall is unplugged)

If I buy another beer out post and liquid disconnect and have a post connected to the "out" side of the filter rather than just the adadptor for beer line, does this make it more flexible? How could I do this? That way if I want to switch the randall to another keg, or add or remove if I'm half way through drinking the keg I can just remove or add using the quick disconnects.

Does any of this make sense???

Sorry if I'm asking moronic questions here. It's doing my head in.

Latest posts

Back