• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi Randal Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we know if these are food grade plastic?
I picked one up because of the cheap price but it has a pretty strong plastic smell.
They are advertised as garden/irrigation too not potable water.

They are normally installed to filter tank water before it reaches the pump so I would assume it's food grade.

PP 5 plastic. food grade

Strong plastic smell, soak it in napisan and rinse before use.

DSC00286.JPG

Converted to randall

2 X 1" to 1/2" brass reducing bushes, Bunnings
2 X 1/2" brass plugs, Bunnings
2 X 1/2" O-Rings, Bunnings
2 X 1/4" Push in fittings, Keg-King

Blue plumbers tape to seal thread.

1/4" tap used on lathe to cut thread into plugs to make 1/2" to 1/4" reducing bushes.

Approx total cost = $22 for all fittings, $20 for filter
Thread tapped for free :)

I hope this helps someone trying to figure out where to get/make the fittings locally. The plugs only get 2 threads, the heads aren't super thick. But it seems to hold pretty well with tape and at worst, thread locker.
1/4" tap, was in a pack of 3-4 at the green shed for $10, with hand tap tool costing $15 if that comes to that.

For anyone who missed out or lives in a non Aldi state:

Bunnings sells what seems to be the same filter for the same price in their pump section.

For anyone who missed out or lives in a non Aldi state:

Bunnings sells what seems to be the same filter for the same price in their pump section.

I've seen these bunnings ones. 20 bucks and guaranteed supply of filters anytime.

Bought one a week ago? Look the goods too.

Have been experimenting with different ideas regarding connections.

Very sturdy looking filter housing. If only the ins n outs werent so big...(1 inch).

You can also get a black plastic plug from the irrigation section at Bunnings. Looks the same material the 1" nipples supplied with the filter is. Just tap the plug to suit the JG fitting.

Cost 2 x $1.80
JG fittings

QldKev

Try any, they are also on at Bribie store but not as cheap, more like $15 - saw them today. Are you both going to BABBs? maybe Florian can pick one up for you.

I think florian goes to the toombul store , if i remember from the keg esky/water cooler bargain thingy.

Anyone else having issues with air getting sucked back into the Aldi randall after being used?

I've only started using mine today, but can't get it to stop sucking air back in. Can't find where from but somewhere in the Randall itself. I remember at Batz's cave there was one there that was having the same issue, it was either King Brown or NickB's setup

QldKev

I think florian goes to the toombul store , if i remember from the keg esky/water cooler bargain thingy.
Yes it would be a tad closer than the Chermside one. Imagine, a choice of two Aldi's almost equidistant. And here on Bribie Island I only have one. Oh the humanity :(

It's the chermside one, more aisle space on a Saturday.

Can pick one up for BABBs if you're real quick with replying now. Otherwise there is a chance I'll be here again before then.

It's the chermside one, more aisle space on a Saturday.

Can pick one up for BABBs if you're real quick with replying now. Otherwise there is a chance I'll be here again before then.

Yes please.

As stated earlier, tony powell at geebung has ss one to quarter inch reducing bushes. Havent set mine up yet.

View attachment 53961
+1 tony powel geebung, think it cost $19 for the fittings
its brew hardware heaven in that place everywhere you look there's stainless valves n fittings n cam locks and all sorts , plenty of JG fittings too!
I thinking maybe the 90* JG fitting would of been better for fitting beerline and use ability?

View attachment 53960

i havnt used mine yet so cant comment on air leaks?

also on southside
<h1 class="company-heading">Tony Powell</h1>Contact details

Address: 776 Beaudesert Road, Salisbury, QLD 4107
Tel: (07) 3265 1144

If people missed out I do remember seeing a similar product in bunnings in the plumbing section
Maybe worth a try.

That big o-ring in the filter is easily mangled (took a few minutes to choose that word). Might be worth checking if urs is sucking air. Also, the relief screw at the top, check around there too.
Also, I used tape on all connections. Might help :)

Back