• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi Randal Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn you eastern staters!

I've got no Aldi where i live, and would love to make one of those things. I've been thinking about for years but the closest i've come so far is one of those massive filters (as opposed to the short ones).

I wonder if they have online facilities and the ability to freight it to me....
It's ok Nath we ain;t missing anything when it comes to Aldi, went to the one at Yass last year. it just has pallets of home brand stuff and staff are next to useless. No doubt if we bother to do a ebay search or trawel the web we will be able to score them for half the price.

:icon_offtopic: Saw survey today that asked the Question "What state do you live in"
NSW
VIC
QLD
TAS
ACT
NT
WA
Other

No doubt as a South Australian it pissed me off no end, the ignorence of the eastern states of anyone west of the great dividing range.

EDIT: Quick google uncovered them as 5-inch Standard Size Small Filter Housings, there plenty of them online

It's ok Nath we ain;t missing anything when it comes to Aldi, went to the one at Yass last year. it just has pallets of home brand stuff and staff are next to useless. No doubt if we bother to do a ebay search or trawel the web we will be able to score them for half the price.
Much like the old BiLo stores then. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Quick google uncovered them as 5-inch Standard Size Small Filter Housings, there plenty of them online
And the price?
Were you "able to score them for half the price" or not?

Much like the old BiLo stores then. :rolleyes:
Nope, BiLo was a 'real supermarket' compared to the pallets on the floor and low staff levels at Aldi. Local BiLo-butcher used to have decent cheap meat too, miss my steaks from there. :(

AaronP

It looks like 3/4 male reducer to 1/4 female to take 1/4 male JG for beer line.

3/4 reducer should be at any good hardware store. 1/4 x 5/16 JG from C/Ber
Daz

So what's the difference between using one of these and keg hopping?

1. Don't need to hop the whole keg
2. Can replace old hops with new and possibly different ones to keep it fresh
3. Less beer wasted if contamination is introduced or hops aren't suitable

They're some of the positives as I see it and I'm sure there's more. On the down side, you don't get as long a contact time on the hops, so you may need more to get the same flavour intensity. It's probably a different flavour too, which may or may not be better.

Cheers,
tallie

And the price?
Were you "able to score them for half the price" or not?

FFS seriously, google it yourself, bugger it!!!!! Here I've even done that for you Click Here it's ok it pork spin free!

Yes I am in a foul mood today! :eek:

Anybody know what fittings are needed to attach these to the beer line?

If you're talking about the 5-inch water filter housings, they are actually 1/2 inch fittings (rather than the 3/4-inch specified in the ad). I bought one a while ago, and it works well. I have a post here showing pics of the setup.

FFS seriously, google it yourself, bugger it!!!!! Here I've even done that for you Click Here it's ok it pork spin free!
I googled and ebayed, and did not find any for $10 (delivered or within walking distance) - nor does that google search provide any ($10 yes, but add delivery from USA), the Ebay-list price of Kaiser Soze's $5 filter is now $30+delivery, so that does not work either.
If there are really randal-type-filters at half the Aldi price, most people reading this thread would like to know.

I googled and ebayed, and did not find any for $10 (delivered or within walking distance) - nor does that google search provide any ($10 yes, but add delivery from USA), the Ebay-list price of Kaiser Soze's $5 filter is now $30+delivery, so that does not work either.
If there are really randal-type-filters at half the Aldi price, most people reading this thread would like to know.

Yep, at the time, they were selling for $28+delivery. I was just lucky and managed to find one that was up for auction, and got it for $5.50. I wouldn't have bought it at $28, just wanted to experiment a bit and $5 seemed like a good investment.

nylex gardena make one...

my local bunnos store has them on deletion for 39 bucks... i've got one for hop uses... waiting for them to drop more to get another for my rainwater pump.

I picked up one from ebay for 5 bucks but the inlet/outlet is 1 1/4 id anyone know where to get a 1 1/4 to 1/4 fitting from?

I got my fittings at bunnings

I picked up one from ebay for 5 bucks but the inlet/outlet is 1 1/4 id anyone know where to get a 1 1/4 to 1/4 fitting from?

Link please?

Also, you may need to 2 step down the threads, as in 2 step down adapters..

OT: I can't believe I found this thread, I was reading a thread that was about this thread - Threaception.

Link please?

Also, you may need to 2 step down the threads, as in 2 step down adapters..

OT: I can't believe I found this thread, I was reading a thread that was about this thread - Threaception.

I bought it before christmas and this thread reminded me about it. Will try and find the site in my ebay. If not they are a 2 min walk from work, so I will drive over tommorrow and see if they have the connection and anymore of the 5 dollar filters.

Cheers

I bought it before christmas and this thread reminded me about it. Will try and find the site in my ebay. If not they are a 2 min walk from work, so I will drive over tommorrow and see if they have the connection and anymore of the 5 dollar filters.

Cheers

\m/ Legend!

Cheers!

Back